Skip to main content

Project-Inspire Interview With Mary Essien


There are thousands of low-income families living in rural areas and slums in the midst of our nation’s economic realities; one can only wonder how such families manage to survive, care for basic needs before thinking about education and pursuing dreams. An active Nigerian youth,Mary Essien, envisioned these difficulties and is taking action to solve them through interventions.
In this interview with Project-Inspire, she shares about her work and the progress made so far.

PROJECT_INSPIRE: Can we meet you?
Mary: My name is Mary Fidelis Essien, an indigene of Akwa-Ibom State.I am 26-years-old, a Private Home Tutor, NGO Leader and entrepreneur.I am the Creative Director at Pearls Perfumerie, a brand that deals with perfume oils and body mist. I also head Mayree's Nuts a brand supplying freshly roasted groundnuts. To cap it all, I am the Executive Director of The Heartmenders Foundation; a non-profit organization that caters for the need of the less privileged, youths, nursing mothers, people with special needs, aged people and children.


PROJECT_INSPIRE: Tell us briefly about your childhood experience.
Mary: My childhood experience wasn't so much of a rollercoaster ride, because it was a "bitter-sour" experience. But I am still grateful. The beautiful part of my childhood was that as a young girl, I took my school seriously. I had so much zeal and passion. I just wanted to have the best grades and come first in class every term. That was one of my goal as a child. I enjoyed reading long pages of "Higher Education" ahead of debates at my school’s valedictory service and end of the session party. I didn't really mingle with a lot of people because I was too busy focusing on how to always come "first" in class. Things turned a bit sour when I lost my dad to the cold hands of death. It was a difficult experiences to say the least especially because I loved the fact that I had a mommy and a daddy. One of the major changes that occurred after dad's death was moving from a private to public school. In the midst of all that happened,I was hopeful for a better future.


PROJECT_INSPIRE:  What’s your educational background?
Mary: I attended St. Magdom Nursery and Primary School,Bariga after which, I moved to Morocco High School,Somolu, Yaba for my Junior Secondary School. I completed my secondary school education at Angus Memorial Senior High School, Somolu,Yaba,all in Lagos State. After my SSCE, I got admitted into Yaba College of Technology where I obtained a National Diploma Certificate in Mass Communication. I am presently running a degree program in English Language at the National Open University, Lagos Study Centre.


PROJECT_INSPIRE: What is your contribution towards making Nigeria a better place?
Mary: By God’s grace, I run Heartmenders Foundation, a non-profit organization where we cater for the needs of vulnerable groups ranging from children to nursing mother, aged people, and those living with disabilities. We also work to achieve the United Nations SDG's goals 2(Zero Hunger), 4(Quality Education) and 17(Partnership To Achieve The Goals). Our vision is to render assistance to vulnerable people (adults and children) in low-income communities through charitable projects, mentorship sessions, empowerment and educational programs. Our leadership and personal development campaigns are geared towards helping young people to develop strength in the areas of goal setting, decision making, self-reliance and community development.


PROJECT_INSPIRE: What have your achievements been?
Mary:  Within the last one year, we carried out a number of community outreach events. The first was in April,2020. We reached out to bless 30 families with food across different streets within LadiLak Pedro, Lagos. The second was in June were we reached to 70 nursing mother of IIaje Community distributing facemasks, toiletries and food packs. We have been able to cater for the needs of more than 300 families within Pedro Bariga community and Badia-ijora community in Lagos State. In December, we launched the first phase of Smile! Slum! Surprise! Programme reaching out to 150 girls with school relief items, clothing and party packs.
 After considering the fact that the 2021 started out with another phase of the lockdown which in a way deprived some people of their means of income,we organised a Covid19 food relief pack to support 40 families in our immediate community providing them with at least one-square meal. The Heartmenders Foundation in  commemoration of her First Year Anniversary connected 70 aged people with medical care and food provisions at Alimi Oke Street Orile-Isolo, Lagos in February 2021. We conducted medical examinations,health talks and gave out food packs. As an NGO, our call to duty is to reach out to those in need and that’s what we are doing.


PROJECT_INSPIRE: What motivated you to do what you are doing?
Mary: Growing up, I always myself as a change maker. I would envision the kind of problems I would love to solve in my community even though we didn’t have much in my immediate family. When the time was right, I moved from dreaming to action and that was what birthed Heartmenders Foundation. As an organization, our watchword is "sharing hope and happiness".


PROJECT_INSPIRE: What has been your major challenge since you began Heartmenders Foundation?
Mary: The major challenge I have faced is building the right team. Sometimes, it is difficult to get people to commit to a vision that doesn’t promise immediate financial gratification. Funding has not been readily available for all our projects but we always implement our plans with what we have. Before we carry out a project in any community, we usually conduct surveys and because we do not have a means of transportation of our own, it is pretty difficult sometimes. But we’re not going to give up.


PROJECT_INSPIRE: Many young people have great ideas,but lack of funds is always a stumbling block. What is your advice in this regard?
Mary: I believe in starting with "what you have at hand". There is always something to start with, whether in human capital or goodwill. Once there is a vision, it is important to start and shut out all forms of negativity. Most of the great men and women we see doing excellently, are those who kept on moving forward despite the challenges they encountered. Many of them started with what they had, not necessarily money, but the ability to effectively communicate their ideas, build great relationships and leverage on those relationships for greater impact.


PROJECT_INSPIRE: How have you been able to raise money to implement your ideas?
Mary: I have been able to leverage on the relationships I have built over time. There are a lot of good hearted people out there willing to support and give to those solving community problems but we must be people of integrity to attract such opportunities.


PROJECT_INSPIRE: Could you share with us one or two experience(s) you have had in the course of your campaign that have impacted on you?
Mary: One experience that stands out was during the maiden edition of Smile! Slum! Surprise! Project that took place on the 19th of December, 2020.
Our plan was to reach out to 100 Children, but we ended up catering for the needs of 200 children and about 50 adults because we received more than what we estimated and I was very grateful.


PROJECT_INSPIRE: The final word for the Nigerian youth.
Mary: Never forget that you can become whatever you want to become regardless of the difficulties you face.

Heartmenders Foundation can be reached through:
IG: @theheartmendersfoundation_
Twitter: @the_heartmenders_foundation


PROJECT_INSPIRE : Thank you for sharing your story with us.
Mary:You’re welcome.








If you are a changemaker and you would love us to tell your story, kindly reach/follo Busaosowo Foundation on:



Comments

  1. This is so commendable and inspiring, I must confess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh Weldon. You've done a great job so far. God bless you and your team.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marrrryyyy UN!!!!! I'm proud of you darling. The goal is United Nations! Welldone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwww I'm super proud of you Mary! You're amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are doing great, welldone Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good job, may God bless you for all you are doing for the less privileged

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job darling, more strength

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's been amazing working with you, keep up the good work Mary ��

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job Mary more wins Ahead

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good job

    Keep moving Ma'am 🤍

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Project Inspire Africa With Gift Siagumpa

With the leadership deficit in Africa,Gift Siagumpa has refused to sit on the sidelines and complain. He started the Master-Mind Leadership Foundation to help raise the next generation of Zambian leaders. In this interview with Project Inspire Africa, Gift shares the joy and struggles in his journey. Can we meet you? My name is Gift Siagumpa, aged 34, Zambian and I enjoy writing, networking in the quest to learn more from others and providing solutions to societal problems. Tell us briefly your childhood experience. As a child , I was privileged to be provided with the basics of life including a good education from one of the best schools in my time. I was also privileged to have parents who were involved in my life. My father was very intentional about parenting. He used to schedule coaching sessions with me and lived out what he taught. He is my biggest inspiration. What’s your educational background?  I began my education journey at Maamba Private School, that is, from Pre-school

PROJECT INSPIRE AFRICA SPEAKS WITH UBALDA MENSAH

From empowering young girls with vocational skills to improving the standard of schools in ghana, Ubalda Mensah is on a mission to empower the next generation of girls to take responsibility for their lives and contribute to nation building. In this interview with project Inspire Africa,Ubalda shares her story. Can we meet you? My name is Ubalda Mensah, 22-years-old citizen of Ghana and I love to travel   Tell us briefly your childhood experience. Growing up, I did not have the opportunity to get things on a silver platter. This in a way put some form of pressure on me to strive to be excellent in all I do. There was no room to fool around although I had the freedom to. My parents prioritized education and did their best to give me a solid foundation academically.   What’s your educational background? I began my academic journey at H&E Educational Centre before moving on to Aggrey Memorial A.M.E Zion Senior High School. I am currently an undergraduate at the Un