Skip to main content

Project_Inspire Interview With Okolo Ikechukwu

Confronted with multiple cases of teenage pregnancy at his primary place of assignment as a youth corps member, Okolo Ikechukwu knew that something had to be done to change the prevailing narrative in his host community. This realization led him to launch a teenage pregnancy prevention advocacy program that culminated in the establishment of Milecent Foundation. In this interview with Project_Inspire, Okolo Ikechukwu shares his story of impact. 

PROJECT_INSPIRE: Can we meet you?
  Ikechukwu:I am Okolo Ikechukwu, 32 years old from Enugu state. 


  PROJECT_INSPIRE: Tell us briefly about your childhood? 
  Ikechukwu: I had a rough childhood in the creeks of Onitsha. Hawking and scavenging were part of my childhood journey and I believe that, that experience helped shaped me into a better person. 


PROJECT_INSPIRE:What is your educational background like? 
  Ikechukwu:I had my primary school education at Alheri Mortune Memorial School, secondary school education at Christ The King College, Kezz Foundation schools and St Charles Special School all in Onitsha. In 2007, I got admitted to study medical radiography at the University of Maiduguri. After my bachelor’s degree, I pursued a post-graduate diploma in business and entrepreneurship at the Fate Foundation Business Academy. 


  PROJECT_INSPIRE: What are your contributions towards making Nigeria a better place? 
  Ikechukwu: As a youth corps member serving at a primary health centre, Ita Elewa, Ikorodu, I witnessed firsthand over 23 cases of teenage pregnancy within three months (October – December 2017) at the health centre. These teen mothers were under 16 years of age. I felt the need not to turn a blind eye to this reality. I knew I had to do something and so I began to carry out advocacy programs on teenage pregnancy in the community and that was the beginning of what we have today as Milecent Foundation. Milecent Foundation is a structured, non-for-profit, non-governmental organization with the mission to improve the overall wellbeing of individuals and communities especially in the areas of health, sex and lifestyle to promote healthy living and engage in shared prosperity for all.


  PROJECT_INSPIRE: What have your achievements been? 
  Ikechukwu: Our teenage pregnancy prevention advocacy program have directly reached 31,590 teenagers across 42 secondary schools, 3 seminars, 4 churches and 8 communities. We have conducted free medical diagnosis on over 11,233 beneficiaries across 17 communities in Lagos and Ogun States of Nigeria During the COVID-19, in partnership with Lagos Foodbank Initiative, we distributed food items worth one million,six hundred thousand naira to 301 families across Ikorodu. 


  PROJECT_INSPIRE: What has been your challenges since you began your non-profit?
  Ikechukwu: Two major challenges have been funding and visibility. However, we understand that it takes both hard work and time to achieve good results. 


  PROJECT_INSPIRE: Share with us one or two experiences that you have had in your journey that has really impacted you. 
  Ikechukwu: My first local fellowship really impacted me, I got this local fellowship and there were a lot of drilling and assignments given to us. When I graduated from the 6months fellowship, it made a huge impact on me and shaped me into a better change maker.


  PROJECT_INSPIRE: Many young people have great ideas but the finances are always a stumbling block, what will your advice be in this regard?
  Ikechukwu: I will always tell young people, "START FIRST ". Ideas are not fully formed until you start working on them. It is true that funding poses a huge challenge but there is no dearth of opportunities. The more you keep at what you are doing and do it sincerely and excellently, you will meet the right opportunities. But you have to start first. 


  PROJECT_INSPIRE: How has the reaction of people especially fellow young people been like when they see you doing what you do and how have you always responded to them?
  Ikechukwu: People will always doubt you at first but when you keep doing the good work, you will turn doubters to believers. Many young people are impressed by the work I do. I get complements and criticisms. I energize on the compliments and take corrections on the criticisms. 


  PROJECT_INSPIRE: How have you been able to raise funds to implement your ideas? 
  Ikechukwu: We fundraise for our projects and have also won a few grants. 


  PROJECT_INSPIRE: What are your prospects in the next 5-10years? 
  Ikechukwu: I look forward to setting up healthcare innovation hubs across Nigeria to make diagnosis accessible to everyone irrespective location and status.


  PROJECT_INSPIRE: The final word for the Nigerian youth.
  Ikechukwu: Keep your dreams alive, keep pushing and never give up. 


  PROJECT_INSPIRE: Thank you for sharing your story with us 

Ikechukwu: It’s my pleasure

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Project Inspire Africa With Gift Siagumpa

With the leadership deficit in Africa,Gift Siagumpa has refused to sit on the sidelines and complain. He started the Master-Mind Leadership Foundation to help raise the next generation of Zambian leaders. In this interview with Project Inspire Africa, Gift shares the joy and struggles in his journey. Can we meet you? My name is Gift Siagumpa, aged 34, Zambian and I enjoy writing, networking in the quest to learn more from others and providing solutions to societal problems. Tell us briefly your childhood experience. As a child , I was privileged to be provided with the basics of life including a good education from one of the best schools in my time. I was also privileged to have parents who were involved in my life. My father was very intentional about parenting. He used to schedule coaching sessions with me and lived out what he taught. He is my biggest inspiration. What’s your educational background?  I began my education journey at Maamba Private School, that is, from Pre-school

Project-Inspire Interview With Mary Essien

There are thousands of low-income families living in rural areas and slums in the midst of our nation’s economic realities; one can only wonder how such families manage to survive, care for basic needs before thinking about education and pursuing dreams. An active Nigerian youth,Mary Essien, envisioned these difficulties and is taking action to solve them through interventions. In this interview with Project-Inspire, she shares about her work and the progress made so far. PROJECT_INSPIRE : Can we meet you? Mary : My name is Mary Fidelis Essien, an indigene of Akwa-Ibom State.I am 26-years-old, a Private Home Tutor, NGO Leader and entrepreneur.I am the Creative Director at Pearls Perfumerie, a brand that deals with perfume oils and body mist. I also head Mayree's Nuts a brand supplying freshly roasted groundnuts. To cap it all, I am the Executive Director of The Heartmenders Foundation; a non-profit organization that caters for the need of the less privileged, youths, nursing mother

PROJECT INSPIRE AFRICA SPEAKS WITH UBALDA MENSAH

From empowering young girls with vocational skills to improving the standard of schools in ghana, Ubalda Mensah is on a mission to empower the next generation of girls to take responsibility for their lives and contribute to nation building. In this interview with project Inspire Africa,Ubalda shares her story. Can we meet you? My name is Ubalda Mensah, 22-years-old citizen of Ghana and I love to travel   Tell us briefly your childhood experience. Growing up, I did not have the opportunity to get things on a silver platter. This in a way put some form of pressure on me to strive to be excellent in all I do. There was no room to fool around although I had the freedom to. My parents prioritized education and did their best to give me a solid foundation academically.   What’s your educational background? I began my academic journey at H&E Educational Centre before moving on to Aggrey Memorial A.M.E Zion Senior High School. I am currently an undergraduate at the Un