Skip to main content

PROJECT_INSPIRE SPEAKS WITH OFFIONG DAVID

Due to the numerous difficulties we face in Nigeria and our history of failed leadership, many youth have lost hope in the future of this nation. However, many doesn't mean all. Offiong David Bassey is among the generation of a few who believe that hope is not lost. He is a young thought leader and Program Manager for My Hero Community Development Initiative (MHCDI). In this interview with Project_Inspire, David gives insight into his childhood and his work as a social entrepreneur.

PROJECT_INSPIRE: Can we meet you? DAVID : My name is Offiong David Bassey. I’m 24 years old, from the Efik tribe of Cross River State.

 PROJECT_INSPIRE: Give us a summary of your childhood.
DAVID : Right from when I was a child, I have always wanted to be a blessing to my environment. Most times Id always do things differently from other children. I wanted to live to be a blessing which led me into choosing careers such as Medicine, Pure Science, Law and the like [smiles]. However, childhood was a wonderful stage because it shaped my current mentality. I learnt ethics, morals and leadership at an early stage.

PROJECT_INSPIRE: Tell us about your educational background.
DAVID : I attended Good Shepherd Comprehensive High School, Lagos state, and afterwards acquired a degree in Civil Engineering from Covenant University.

PROJECT_INSPIRE: What contributions are you making to better our nation?
DAVID : I love Nigeria with passion. I am an unrepentant patriot of my country. While growing up, I remember I had a notebook that I labeled "Solutions to Nigeria's Problems” where I wrote down several things we could do as a nation to move forward. Presently, I am expanding and improving the ideas in that my little book to be published soon. I hope to someday hand a copy to the president when I eventually visit Aso Villa. The love I have for my country makes me unwilling to litter the environment or join in cursing or talking down my country. Rather, I concentrate on reading about nations that have moved from bottom to top so I could get insight to help move Nigeria forward too. In order to give back, I have led operations in relation to the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals that involved donating free medical and relief materials to Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs), organising skill acquisition, advocacy and awareness programmes for communities and lots more. And like I stated earlier, I am currently writing a book that focuses on nation development and patriotism.

PROJECT_INSPIRE: Tell us more about what you are doing and how it will help our nation realize its full potential.
DAVID : I am the Program Manager for My Hero Community Development Initiative (MHCDI). MHCDI is a non-for-profit organization committed to building a sustainable socio-economic improvement in the quality of life of rural people in Nigeria and across Africa through innovative partnerships. Over time, MHCDI have been renovating toilet facilities in a community school in the FCT. We have carried out several educational tourism tours for secondary school students. The initiative also runs a Weekend School where we bring together teenagers under an atmosphere of fun and learning. Students at our weekend school are coached in character and leadership development. I strongly believe that building a great nation is the collective responsibility of government and citizens.

PROJECT_INSPIRE: What has been your motivation?
DAVID : Simply put, Passion for God and Compassion for Humanity.

PROJECT_INSPIRE: Many young people have great ideas but finance is always a stumbling block, what would you advise?
DAVID : Truth is, Money is a good tool in enhancing your work but Money is not everything. Having a passion that is alive would be my advice to young people out there. When your passion is intact you can start with what you have no matter how small. Believe me.

PROJECT_INSPIRE: What do you think has been the major cause of youth unemployment today and how can we get this off?
 DAVID : The cause of youth unemployment is lack of entrepreneurship and life skills, education, among others. We can get out of this when we believe not in white-collar jobs but in the skills we have acquired.

PROJECT_INSPIRE: What would you say is the major role of the youth in our national development process?
DAVID : The youth are often referred to as the leaders of tomorrow. This is so because as young people they are expected to take the mantle of leadership from todays leaders after they have done their bit and then quit the stage. In all fields of human endeavor, be it administration, politics, commerce, religion, military, music, teaching, mass communication, technology, navigation, exploration and exploitation, sports and what have you, the youth are needed to serve as lubricant in the wheels of progress.

PROJECT_INSPIRE: What are your final words?
DAVID : Let’s take up interest in the well-being of our nation. Let every youth know that he or she has a part to play in nation development irrespective of what they do. Lets possess the spirit of true patriotism.

PROJECT_INSPIRE: Thank you for sharing your story with us and we do hope that many are inspired as they read.
DAVID : Thank you for having me.




 Many thanks to our editor: Pookers Literary and Editing World. www.pookersconsult.com.ng
+234 703 009 4966 


Follow us on Facebook and Instagram @BUSAOSOWO FOUNDATION
Email: bofinitiatives@gmail.com
WhatsApp: +2349038632847

Comments

  1. My heart gladdens whenever I see or hear of a Nigerian doing great things for the community and beyond. David, you're a big motivation to so many who are willing to dream and dare. There has never been any justified excuse for mediocrity and failure, not even this time of easy and cheap access to tools of learning and impact.
    Thank you BOF for always having a million reasons to believe in Nigerian youths.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Project Inspire Africa With Gift Siagumpa

With the leadership deficit in Africa,Gift Siagumpa has refused to sit on the sidelines and complain. He started the Master-Mind Leadership Foundation to help raise the next generation of Zambian leaders. In this interview with Project Inspire Africa, Gift shares the joy and struggles in his journey. Can we meet you? My name is Gift Siagumpa, aged 34, Zambian and I enjoy writing, networking in the quest to learn more from others and providing solutions to societal problems. Tell us briefly your childhood experience. As a child , I was privileged to be provided with the basics of life including a good education from one of the best schools in my time. I was also privileged to have parents who were involved in my life. My father was very intentional about parenting. He used to schedule coaching sessions with me and lived out what he taught. He is my biggest inspiration. What’s your educational background?  I began my education journey at Maamba Private School, that is, from Pre-school

Project-Inspire Interview With Mary Essien

There are thousands of low-income families living in rural areas and slums in the midst of our nation’s economic realities; one can only wonder how such families manage to survive, care for basic needs before thinking about education and pursuing dreams. An active Nigerian youth,Mary Essien, envisioned these difficulties and is taking action to solve them through interventions. In this interview with Project-Inspire, she shares about her work and the progress made so far. PROJECT_INSPIRE : Can we meet you? Mary : My name is Mary Fidelis Essien, an indigene of Akwa-Ibom State.I am 26-years-old, a Private Home Tutor, NGO Leader and entrepreneur.I am the Creative Director at Pearls Perfumerie, a brand that deals with perfume oils and body mist. I also head Mayree's Nuts a brand supplying freshly roasted groundnuts. To cap it all, I am the Executive Director of The Heartmenders Foundation; a non-profit organization that caters for the need of the less privileged, youths, nursing mother

PROJECT INSPIRE AFRICA SPEAKS WITH UBALDA MENSAH

From empowering young girls with vocational skills to improving the standard of schools in ghana, Ubalda Mensah is on a mission to empower the next generation of girls to take responsibility for their lives and contribute to nation building. In this interview with project Inspire Africa,Ubalda shares her story. Can we meet you? My name is Ubalda Mensah, 22-years-old citizen of Ghana and I love to travel   Tell us briefly your childhood experience. Growing up, I did not have the opportunity to get things on a silver platter. This in a way put some form of pressure on me to strive to be excellent in all I do. There was no room to fool around although I had the freedom to. My parents prioritized education and did their best to give me a solid foundation academically.   What’s your educational background? I began my academic journey at H&E Educational Centre before moving on to Aggrey Memorial A.M.E Zion Senior High School. I am currently an undergraduate at the Un