Skip to main content

PROJECT_INSPIRE INTERVIEW WITH VICTOR CHIMEZIE

VICTOR CHIMEZIE is an internationally recognized young world leader whose passion for peace and national development continues to inspire thousands like him. A multiple award-winner, Victor is the founder of Mind Reformers’ Network, a youth-based initiative aimed at peace-building and young minds reformation. Victor Chimezie is Project_Inspire's guest for the month of July. In this interview, he speaks about his childhood and journey as a social entrepreneur par excellence .

  PROJECT_INSPIRE: Can we meet you? VICTOR: My name is Victor Okechukwu Chimezie, a graduate of Human Anatomy from the prestigious University of Calabar, and a Peacebuilder by passion. I'm 23 years old. I'm a Nigerian SDGs Youths Champion, a World Literary Foundation Ambassador, an Institute for Economics and Peace Ambassador, a YALI West African Fellow, Digital Grassroots Ambassador, Young World Leader, Commonwealth Open Source Leader and the Founder of Mind Reformers' Network.

PROJECT_INSPIRE: Kindly give a summary of your childhood.
VICTOR: I was born into the family of Mr Anthony Chimezie as the first son. My childhood was pleasant and school was specially fun for me. I was always eager to go for competitions because I knew I would go home with a gift.

 PROJECT_INSPIRE: What's your educational background like?
VICTOR: I attended GRA Primary School at Ogudu-Ojota, Lagos State, between 2001 and 2007 and was among the brightest kids in class. I represented my school in various competitions and did perform well. I later became Assistant Senior Prefect in the school before graduating. I then attended Ogudu Grammar School, Ogudu-Ojota, Lagos, as a very brilliant student. I was Red Cross Society Assistant Leader for my school in JSS 2 and Vice-President for Mathematics Club at Ogudu Junior Grammar School. Later on, I became President of the Young Doctors' Club at Ogudu Senior Grammar School. My next academic journey began when I gained admission to study Human Anatomy in University of Calabar where I graduated with Second-Class Honours.

PROJECT_INSPIRE: What are your contributions towards nation-building?
 VICTOR: Driven by passion for national transformation, I founded Mind Reformers’ Network- a youth-based initiative aimed at peace-building and young minds reformation. Through the initiative, we have reached out to over 2000 youth in southern Nigeria (Calabar and Uyo) through empowerment and peace-talks in seven secondary schools in three local governments in Cross River State; visited IDP camps in Calabar and Uyo and trained 35 undergraduates in peace-building. This was made possible through my organisation's partnership with Commonwealth Youth Peace Ambassadors Network.

  PROJECT_INSPIRE: What's been your motivation?
VICTOR: I envision a world where everyone is empowered to live out his or her potential to the fullest. All I do is motivated by this sole desire.

  PROJECT_INSPIRE: Tell us more about what you are doing and how it will help our nation realize its full potential?
 VICTOR: As a peacebuilder, I work to ensure that society is safer for all, especially the youth. Terrorists groups operating in our nation manipulate disengaged and deprived youth into carrying out heinous activities. But we can change this narrative if we positively engage our young people. As they learn to be personally responsible for the peace of their communities, terrorists will run out of foot soldiers. And this is what we do at Mind Reformers’ Network.

  PROJECT_INSPIRE: What's been your most challenge on this journey?
VICTOR: The major challenge faced by those of us in nonprofit organisations is lack of funding and this can be discouraging. I remember times when I qualified for participation in some international conferences but couldn't attend because of dearth of fund. I'm, however, undeterred.

  PROJECT_INSPIRE: How have young people responded to the good work you are doing?
VICTOR: I have enjoyed the support of my peers. They give their time, skills—and in some cases—finances, to help me achieve this dream. Others have asked for mentorship and I make myself available when they need me. I continually engage and create opportunities for them to use their gifts. I know that as we sharpen ourselves, we become empowered to do more for ourselves and the nation.

  PROJECT_INSPIRE: What are your prospects in years to come?
VICTOR: It is our desire at Mind Reformers’ Network to expand our reach in years to come. In the next one year, we will be working on a national project aimed at raising 1000 young active peacebuilders across 10 cities in Nigeria by training them in peace-building and empowering them to keep their societies safe.

  PROJECT_INSPIRE: What do you think has been the major cause of unemployment among the youth today and how can we get out of it?
  VICTOR: Our educational system is fundamentally flawed. Students are taught theories that have lost relevance in contemporary world. What you hear in class differs from what you see outside. According to Nelson Mandela, education is the greatest tool we can use to change the world. But if the education we get cannot meet the demands of the times then its purpose is defeated. Our policymakers must overhaul and redefine our educational system, if we must move forward.

  PROJECT_INSPIRE: How can we increase young people's participation in national transformation?
VICTOR: The youth should rise up and engage the political leaders and public office holders. We have a right to know how they use the power we have given them. Every opportunity we have should be harnessed for the benefit of all.

  PROJECT_INSPIRE: What are your final words to our esteemed readers?
VICTOR: Nigeria is our country. It's the largest in Africa and one of the most blessed nation on earth in terms of natural resources but so many things have gone wrong because we the youth have gone to sleep. It is time to arise, take our place and fix our nation!

  PROJECT_INSPIRE: Thank you for sharing your story with us and we do hope that many are inspired as they read.
VICTOR: It's been a pleasure!



  Many thanks to our editor: Pookers Literary & Editing World. www.pookersconsult.com.ng
+234 703 009 4966 


 Follow us on Facebook and Instagram @BUSAOSOWO FOUNDATION
 Email: bofinitiatives@gmail.com WhatsApp:+2349038632847

Comments

  1. Thanks for this enlightening perspective. We as youths are the leaders of tomorrow and if we don't realize this enough, then there is an error.

    Thank you once again.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Project-Inspire Interview With Mary Essien

There are thousands of low-income families living in rural areas and slums in the midst of our nation’s economic realities; one can only wonder how such families manage to survive, care for basic needs before thinking about education and pursuing dreams. An active Nigerian youth,Mary Essien, envisioned these difficulties and is taking action to solve them through interventions. In this interview with Project-Inspire, she shares about her work and the progress made so far. PROJECT_INSPIRE : Can we meet you? Mary : My name is Mary Fidelis Essien, an indigene of Akwa-Ibom State.I am 26-years-old, a Private Home Tutor, NGO Leader and entrepreneur.I am the Creative Director at Pearls Perfumerie, a brand that deals with perfume oils and body mist. I also head Mayree's Nuts a brand supplying freshly roasted groundnuts. To cap it all, I am the Executive Director of The Heartmenders Foundation; a non-profit organization that caters for the need of the less privileged, youths, nursing mother

Project Inspire Africa With Gift Siagumpa

With the leadership deficit in Africa,Gift Siagumpa has refused to sit on the sidelines and complain. He started the Master-Mind Leadership Foundation to help raise the next generation of Zambian leaders. In this interview with Project Inspire Africa, Gift shares the joy and struggles in his journey. Can we meet you? My name is Gift Siagumpa, aged 34, Zambian and I enjoy writing, networking in the quest to learn more from others and providing solutions to societal problems. Tell us briefly your childhood experience. As a child , I was privileged to be provided with the basics of life including a good education from one of the best schools in my time. I was also privileged to have parents who were involved in my life. My father was very intentional about parenting. He used to schedule coaching sessions with me and lived out what he taught. He is my biggest inspiration. What’s your educational background?  I began my education journey at Maamba Private School, that is, from Pre-school

PROJECT INSPIRE AFRICA SPEAKS WITH UBALDA MENSAH

From empowering young girls with vocational skills to improving the standard of schools in ghana, Ubalda Mensah is on a mission to empower the next generation of girls to take responsibility for their lives and contribute to nation building. In this interview with project Inspire Africa,Ubalda shares her story. Can we meet you? My name is Ubalda Mensah, 22-years-old citizen of Ghana and I love to travel   Tell us briefly your childhood experience. Growing up, I did not have the opportunity to get things on a silver platter. This in a way put some form of pressure on me to strive to be excellent in all I do. There was no room to fool around although I had the freedom to. My parents prioritized education and did their best to give me a solid foundation academically.   What’s your educational background? I began my academic journey at H&E Educational Centre before moving on to Aggrey Memorial A.M.E Zion Senior High School. I am currently an undergraduate at the Un