Skip to main content

Project Inspire Africa with Mulenga Chilekwa




Mulenga Chilekwa is a Zambian citizen whose desire is to see disadvantaged and vulnerable people live up their highest potentials. In this interview with Project Inspire Africa,she tells her story.



Can we meet you?
My name is Mulenga Chilekwa,a 23-years-old Zambian who loves reading novels and singing.


Tell us briefly your childhood experience
I was born in Mpika Zambia the central part of Africa and lived there. I am the third child in a family of 8. Growing up we faced a lot of challenges finacially. I decided while growing up that I was going to do things differently and creatively since I didn't have other factors in my favor. 


What’s your educational background?
I attended Fikulii Primary School where I did my grade 1-3 before proceeding to Ndeke Primary and Secondary School in Lusaka where I completed grade 3-12. I am currently pursuing a bachelor's degree in public administration and library information science at the University of Zambia. I also several professional certificates in youth development and non-profit management.



What are your contributions towards making your country a better place?
I am the founder of Muchi Foundation,a nonprofit organization poised to improving the welfare of vulnerable and disadvantaged people in the society. We focus on the poor,the elderly and those living with disabilities. I also volunteer as the project coordinator for youths of the United Nations University Of Zambia and the logistics director for THE HULT PRIZE UNZA.


What steps did you take to bring your vision to fruition?
Firstly I decided to venture into entrepreneurship in order to gain financial independence so that I can contribute my quota to the organization in its formative stage. Thereafter,I began looking for individuals and organizations with similar interests and objectives in other to build partnerships. 


What have been your achievements?
So far,two hundred persons have directly benefited from our books and clothes drive programs and more indirectly. We have also been able to host awareness programs on both radio and television stations in Zambia. Through partnering with other organizations,we have trained and equipped volunteers who are now ambassadors of the SDGs and are driving change in their space.


What motivated you to do what you are doing?
My childhood experience really challenged me to become great and do everything to the best of my capabilities. I just want to see people realize their potentials and not be held back by poverty.


What has been your major challenge since you began your nonprofit?
Like many non-profits, funding has been a major challenge for us but we are not deterred.


How have you been able to raise money to implement your ideas?
I have had difficulties in raising money, most of the work that has been done is from my own savings and contributions from members of my organization.


Could you share with us one or two experience(s) you have had in the course of your campaign that has impacted on you?
One of the biggest skills I have learnt in the course of this journey is mobilization. Many of our projects wouldn't have seen the light of the day without a team to implement them.


 What are your prospects in the next 5 or 10 years?
I wish to secure funding that will help us create more sustainable solutions to the challenges of poverty and people living with disabilities. 


What do you think is the major cause of unemployment in Africa, and how can we get over this? 
Our biggest problem is corruption. Our leaders need to change their ideology regarding leadership. It has to be primarily service and not self-serving.


If you had an opportunity to speak to presidents in Africa, what would be your message?
To drive sustainable growth in Africa,our leaders must bring youths to the table. Youths should be involved in making decisions especially those that affects them.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Project Inspire Africa With Gift Siagumpa

With the leadership deficit in Africa,Gift Siagumpa has refused to sit on the sidelines and complain. He started the Master-Mind Leadership Foundation to help raise the next generation of Zambian leaders. In this interview with Project Inspire Africa, Gift shares the joy and struggles in his journey. Can we meet you? My name is Gift Siagumpa, aged 34, Zambian and I enjoy writing, networking in the quest to learn more from others and providing solutions to societal problems. Tell us briefly your childhood experience. As a child , I was privileged to be provided with the basics of life including a good education from one of the best schools in my time. I was also privileged to have parents who were involved in my life. My father was very intentional about parenting. He used to schedule coaching sessions with me and lived out what he taught. He is my biggest inspiration. What’s your educational background?  I began my education journey at Maamba Private School, that is, from Pre-school

Project-Inspire Interview With Mary Essien

There are thousands of low-income families living in rural areas and slums in the midst of our nation’s economic realities; one can only wonder how such families manage to survive, care for basic needs before thinking about education and pursuing dreams. An active Nigerian youth,Mary Essien, envisioned these difficulties and is taking action to solve them through interventions. In this interview with Project-Inspire, she shares about her work and the progress made so far. PROJECT_INSPIRE : Can we meet you? Mary : My name is Mary Fidelis Essien, an indigene of Akwa-Ibom State.I am 26-years-old, a Private Home Tutor, NGO Leader and entrepreneur.I am the Creative Director at Pearls Perfumerie, a brand that deals with perfume oils and body mist. I also head Mayree's Nuts a brand supplying freshly roasted groundnuts. To cap it all, I am the Executive Director of The Heartmenders Foundation; a non-profit organization that caters for the need of the less privileged, youths, nursing mother

PROJECT INSPIRE AFRICA SPEAKS WITH UBALDA MENSAH

From empowering young girls with vocational skills to improving the standard of schools in ghana, Ubalda Mensah is on a mission to empower the next generation of girls to take responsibility for their lives and contribute to nation building. In this interview with project Inspire Africa,Ubalda shares her story. Can we meet you? My name is Ubalda Mensah, 22-years-old citizen of Ghana and I love to travel   Tell us briefly your childhood experience. Growing up, I did not have the opportunity to get things on a silver platter. This in a way put some form of pressure on me to strive to be excellent in all I do. There was no room to fool around although I had the freedom to. My parents prioritized education and did their best to give me a solid foundation academically.   What’s your educational background? I began my academic journey at H&E Educational Centre before moving on to Aggrey Memorial A.M.E Zion Senior High School. I am currently an undergraduate at the Un