Skip to main content

Project Inspire Africa With Aceng Deborah

 



Diagnosed with sickle cell disorder,Aceng Deborah was expected to grow up and lead a life of sadness but the reverse is the case. She has today grown to become a ray of hope sickle cell survivors and their parents through her nonprofit organization Fearless Smiles Of Hope Foundation. In this interview with Project Inspire Africa, Deborah tells her story.

Can we meet you?

My name is Aceng Deborah, I am 23 years of age and a Ugandan by nationality.


Tell us briefly your childhood experience.

I can say my childhood was okay. I was diagnosed with sickle cell disorder when I was 6-months old. My parents knowing the difficulties that will confront me in the future gave me so much love and this has made my life better than most people expect. As a girl, my brothers feared that I would grow up to always fight them but fortunately for all of us, the love in the family binds us very strongly.

What’s your educational background?

I had my nursery and primary education from Joy Nursery and Primary School. I then joined Makerere College School for my  O’level before proceeding to Mengo Senior School for my A’level. In 2018, I got admitted into Makerere University where I pursued a bachelor’s degree in Development Economics and currently awaiting graduation.

What are your contributions towards making your country a better place?

Not everyone child born with sickle cell disorder is treated the way my parents did.  This is why I started a not-for-profit organization known as Fearless Smiles Of Hope Foundation. Through Fearless Smiles Of Hope Foundation, we are spreading awareness about sickle cells disease in rural communities of Uganda. We are also skilling those living with the disease with life and social skills to enable them become economically empowered. Through the work we do, we are breaking the biases surrounding sickle cell disorder.

 

What steps did you take to bring your vision to fruition?

As I grew older, I observed that most awareness campaigns on sickle cell disorder were concentrated in urban areas leaving rural areas in the dark. It was when I saw this gap that I began carrying out awareness campaigns in rural communities.


 What have been your achievements?

Our work has revolved around awareness creation in rural communities. We have organized an outreach to Lira Children’s Hospital Sickle Cell Ward where we were able to interact with children living with sickle cell disease, their parents and health workers there. Over 50 beneficiaries benefited from this outreach. In the communities we work,we have been to establish volunteer networks so that the communities can own the projects we bring. We have also organized a blood donation drive in Makerere University. At the drive, we were able to offer free sickle cell screening and counseling services. We had 80 persons who donated blood and 90 persons who were screened.


 What motivated you to do what you are doing?

Being born with sickle cell disease has been my number one reason but in general, I can say, my desire to see change in the way people living with sickle cell disease are treated in society is what makes me do what I do.


What has been your major challenge since you began your nonprofit?

Funding has so far been our greatest huddle just like any other non-profit but we continue to do our best as we are enabled.


 How have you been able to raise money to implement your ideas?

 Well my organization works in teams. When we want to implement an activity we first of all look for partners who contribute half of the budget. The rest of the money is raised by us the team members.

 

Could you share with us one or two experience(s) you have had in the course of your campaign that has impacted on you?

Hmm…. Although I knew it was important that people get to know the truth about sickle cell but I was yet to see the true and real impact of what we were until the day I went for my regular checkup at the sickle cell clinic some time ago. At the clinic, I met this mother whose baby has been diagnosed with the disorder. I shared with her my journey as a young adult living with the disorder. My mum who was with me also shared with her her experience in parenting a child living with sickle cell disorder. A few days later the lady called me thanking me for the conversation we had with her. She confided in me that at the time we met,she had already been pressurized to abandon her baby and was ready to do so because her in-laws had made her believe that her child was bewitched or cursed. As I listened to her speak over the phone, it dawned on me at that moment that my work had meaning and is really impacting lives.

 

 What are your prospects in the next 5 or 10 years?

I look forward to a time where we can own our own sickle cell clinic together with a vocational center.


What do you think is the major cause of unemployment in Africa, and how can we get over this?

I blame 2 parties. On one hand, some youths are lazy. They fold their hands, do nothing but blame government for not for not creating for them jobs. On the other hand, the corruption in our leadership has designed every opportunity of growth. Every one of us, both the leaders and the led must take responsibility for our lives and do better.


If you had an opportunity to speak to presidents in Africa, what would be your message.

My message would be “Give priority to your people; to their needs, dreams,aspirations,and challenges . African leaders must learn to prioritize their people over selfish interest.


Thank you for sharing your story with us. Keep being strong

It is my pleasure!



Follow Busaosowo Foundation:

www.instagram.com/busaosowofoundation


www.facebook.com/busaosowofoundation


bofinitiatives@gmail.com


https://wa.me/message/MNWQTFWQRZBUL1



















 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Project Inspire Africa With Gift Siagumpa

With the leadership deficit in Africa,Gift Siagumpa has refused to sit on the sidelines and complain. He started the Master-Mind Leadership Foundation to help raise the next generation of Zambian leaders. In this interview with Project Inspire Africa, Gift shares the joy and struggles in his journey. Can we meet you? My name is Gift Siagumpa, aged 34, Zambian and I enjoy writing, networking in the quest to learn more from others and providing solutions to societal problems. Tell us briefly your childhood experience. As a child , I was privileged to be provided with the basics of life including a good education from one of the best schools in my time. I was also privileged to have parents who were involved in my life. My father was very intentional about parenting. He used to schedule coaching sessions with me and lived out what he taught. He is my biggest inspiration. What’s your educational background?  I began my education journey at Maamba Private School, that is, from Pre-school

Project-Inspire Interview With Mary Essien

There are thousands of low-income families living in rural areas and slums in the midst of our nation’s economic realities; one can only wonder how such families manage to survive, care for basic needs before thinking about education and pursuing dreams. An active Nigerian youth,Mary Essien, envisioned these difficulties and is taking action to solve them through interventions. In this interview with Project-Inspire, she shares about her work and the progress made so far. PROJECT_INSPIRE : Can we meet you? Mary : My name is Mary Fidelis Essien, an indigene of Akwa-Ibom State.I am 26-years-old, a Private Home Tutor, NGO Leader and entrepreneur.I am the Creative Director at Pearls Perfumerie, a brand that deals with perfume oils and body mist. I also head Mayree's Nuts a brand supplying freshly roasted groundnuts. To cap it all, I am the Executive Director of The Heartmenders Foundation; a non-profit organization that caters for the need of the less privileged, youths, nursing mother

PROJECT INSPIRE AFRICA SPEAKS WITH UBALDA MENSAH

From empowering young girls with vocational skills to improving the standard of schools in ghana, Ubalda Mensah is on a mission to empower the next generation of girls to take responsibility for their lives and contribute to nation building. In this interview with project Inspire Africa,Ubalda shares her story. Can we meet you? My name is Ubalda Mensah, 22-years-old citizen of Ghana and I love to travel   Tell us briefly your childhood experience. Growing up, I did not have the opportunity to get things on a silver platter. This in a way put some form of pressure on me to strive to be excellent in all I do. There was no room to fool around although I had the freedom to. My parents prioritized education and did their best to give me a solid foundation academically.   What’s your educational background? I began my academic journey at H&E Educational Centre before moving on to Aggrey Memorial A.M.E Zion Senior High School. I am currently an undergraduate at the Un