Skip to main content

Project_Inspire With Rejoice Shammah

After waking up to the news that another childhood friend was pregnant, Rejoice decided that it was time to stop sitting at the sidelines and complain. That decision gave rise to the Rejoice Shammah Initiatives. In this interview with Project_Inspire,Rejoice speaks about her journey thus far.



  PROJECT_INSPIRE: Can we meet you?
  Rejoice: My name Is Rejoice Shammah,a young ambitious, confident, creative, passion driven and dedicated girl who loves God and is committed to making impact one project at a time. I am an OAP(On-Air Personality) and host of the Morning Drive on Rhythm 93.7FM in Jos.Because of the passion I have for the media, I run a media Academy that is training aspiring radio presenters and media personalities with practical knowledge of the media while sharing media opportunities with them.I am also a mental health advocate, creating awareness on depression especially and helping people who are going through difficult and life changing moments. I sell gift boxes, souvenirs, food items and water bottles.


  PROJECT_INSPIRE: Tell us briefly about your childhood? 
Rejoice: I am the first child and only daughter of the family. I have had the most interesting childhood I'll say. There is a picture of me in my room that reminds me of what a cute baby I was. While growing, I used to be very shy and struggled with low self-esteem until my second year in university. All I thought about was to finish school, go for my NYSC and get married. I would say that I was in a hurry to be an adult because I thought that was where the fun was. 


  PROJECT_INSPIRE:What is your educational background like? 
Rejoice:I studied mass communication and graduated 2018 from the university of Jos.


  PROJECT_INSPIRE: What are your contributions towards making Nigeria a better place?
Rejoice:I am the founder of Rejoice Shammah Initiative, a not-for-profit organization creating awareness on substance use/addiction, teenage pregnancy & cultism.Our projects are targeted at teenagers especially because it is that time in their lives where they are confronted with different choices. 
Our activities are geared towards
√ providing knowledge and shaping the minds of teenagers. √ creating captivating programs that inspire and motivate young people to do and be more. √ fighting the menace of substance use, teenage pregnancy and cultism among teens. √ encouraging parent’s participation in their children's day activities. √ supporting vulnerable villages with relief items. √ creating a platform that offers help to people irrespective of their religion, tribe and personalities. 



  PROJECT_INSPIRE: What have your achievements been?
  Rejoice: We have been able to reach over 40 schools in Jos with our teenage pregnancy/drug abuse awareness campaign,provided clothes to communities affected by conflict, IDP's, Orphanages, Families and underprivileged children,supported other not for profit organizations with relief items for their charity project, and appointed school ambassadors in the schools we work in to help with the awareness among their peers.


  PROJECT_INSPIRE: What motivated you to do what you are doing? 
Rejoice:I woke up one morning and heard that a childhood friend is pregnant. It broke me so much because the story was on everyone's lip and I heard most people judge and talk about it. I was worried and looked back at the number of my friends who got pregnant as teenagers and how much their lives have changed and realized something is missing. So I thought to myself, why not do something to save the next girl who will probably be a teen mother. 


  PROJECT_INSPIRE: What has been your challenges since you began your non-profit?
  Rejoice: Limited resources. There's so much we could do if we have funding. The other challenge is how people perceive our work. One time we visited a school to have a drug awareness campaign and the principal told us we wanted to negatively influence her students and she wouldn't allow it. Meanwhile we considered the school for the project because students of the school have been caught visiting a popular drug use spot around the school during school hours. 


  PROJECT_INSPIRE: Many young people have great ideas but the finances are always a stumbling block, what will your advice be in this regard? 
Rejoice:Always start with a project that doesn't require much funding.When we started the charity bank project, we chose to focus on clothes since we could not afford food.So we asked people to help us with the clothes they don't need and we were shocked at the support. As an organization we try not to take on projects that are capital intensive. Start from somewhere, look for a cheaper yet impactful way to run your ideas and with time you'll see people support you financially after they must have accepted your brand. 


PROJECT_INSPIRE: How have you been able to raise funds to implement your ideas?
  Rejoice: We initiated a 1k challenge to help us source for funds from our friends and families and it has helped a lot. The founder takes the financial responsibility of projects when we are not able to raise so much to cover our expenses. We also have kind individuals who support us willingly during our projects. 


PROJECT_INSPIRE: Could you share with us one or two experience(s) you have had in the course of teaching the game that has really impacted on you? 
Rejoice: During COVID 19, we reached out to a number of families and supported them with food/clothes.They were really not expecting it.The joy in their eyes was just everything for me.I wondered how it will felt like to see someone show up to meet a need you have been praying about.I knew that I wanted to do this, give people hope and help them trust in life once again and not hate life, their circumstances or blame God for their pain. Another scenario that has impacted me was when I met with two ladies who greeted me like they knew me.They later told me we visited their school and narrated all we shared with them and how much it has changed them.I didn't think we were doing something powerful with our outreach until that experience. No, I did not cry!!!


  PROJECT_INSPIRE: What are your prospects in the next 5-10years?
  Rejoice: We hope to empower 5000 teens with the skills and information they need to make informed choices, open a warehouse where people can walk in at any time to access help and establish our presence in other states in Nigeria.


  PROJECT_INSPIRE: What do you think is the major cause of unemployment among the youth today and how can we get over this?
  Rejoice: Our educational system does not entirely prepare us for life after school. For most of us, life after school is a complete shock. I would suggest that our tertiary institutions adjust the curriculum to fit in today's work demands and needs. Young people must also be willing to try their hands on different opportunities and gain skills that will better position for their dream job/opportunity. 


PROJECT_INSPIRE: Thank you for sharing with us.
  Rejoice:Thank you too for having me.



Follow Busaosowo Foundation:

www.facebook.com/busaosowofoundation

bofinitiatives@gmail.com

https://wa.me/message/MNWQTFWQRZBUL1








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Project Inspire Africa With Gift Siagumpa

With the leadership deficit in Africa,Gift Siagumpa has refused to sit on the sidelines and complain. He started the Master-Mind Leadership Foundation to help raise the next generation of Zambian leaders. In this interview with Project Inspire Africa, Gift shares the joy and struggles in his journey. Can we meet you? My name is Gift Siagumpa, aged 34, Zambian and I enjoy writing, networking in the quest to learn more from others and providing solutions to societal problems. Tell us briefly your childhood experience. As a child , I was privileged to be provided with the basics of life including a good education from one of the best schools in my time. I was also privileged to have parents who were involved in my life. My father was very intentional about parenting. He used to schedule coaching sessions with me and lived out what he taught. He is my biggest inspiration. What’s your educational background?  I began my education journey at Maamba Private School, that is, from Pre-school

Project-Inspire Interview With Mary Essien

There are thousands of low-income families living in rural areas and slums in the midst of our nation’s economic realities; one can only wonder how such families manage to survive, care for basic needs before thinking about education and pursuing dreams. An active Nigerian youth,Mary Essien, envisioned these difficulties and is taking action to solve them through interventions. In this interview with Project-Inspire, she shares about her work and the progress made so far. PROJECT_INSPIRE : Can we meet you? Mary : My name is Mary Fidelis Essien, an indigene of Akwa-Ibom State.I am 26-years-old, a Private Home Tutor, NGO Leader and entrepreneur.I am the Creative Director at Pearls Perfumerie, a brand that deals with perfume oils and body mist. I also head Mayree's Nuts a brand supplying freshly roasted groundnuts. To cap it all, I am the Executive Director of The Heartmenders Foundation; a non-profit organization that caters for the need of the less privileged, youths, nursing mother

PROJECT INSPIRE AFRICA SPEAKS WITH UBALDA MENSAH

From empowering young girls with vocational skills to improving the standard of schools in ghana, Ubalda Mensah is on a mission to empower the next generation of girls to take responsibility for their lives and contribute to nation building. In this interview with project Inspire Africa,Ubalda shares her story. Can we meet you? My name is Ubalda Mensah, 22-years-old citizen of Ghana and I love to travel   Tell us briefly your childhood experience. Growing up, I did not have the opportunity to get things on a silver platter. This in a way put some form of pressure on me to strive to be excellent in all I do. There was no room to fool around although I had the freedom to. My parents prioritized education and did their best to give me a solid foundation academically.   What’s your educational background? I began my academic journey at H&E Educational Centre before moving on to Aggrey Memorial A.M.E Zion Senior High School. I am currently an undergraduate at the Un