Skip to main content

PROJECT_INSPIRE INTERIEW WITH FUNMILOLA ADEDAPO ROTIMI




Raised by a single mother with mental health problems, Funmilola has transitioned from a troubled teenage girl to a hope in the sun for thousands of teenagers today. Through her nonprofit organization, Funmilola is giving children a chance to reach their highest potentials through arts and creative thinking


PROJECT_INSPIRE: Can we meet you? 
Funmilola: My Name is Funmilola Adedapo Rotimi,a 39-year-old indigene of Ogun State,Nigeria.


  PROJECT_INSPIRE: Tell us briefly your childhood experience 
Funmilola: Growing up was tough for me and my siblings especially we are raised by a single parent who had mental health problems. I didn’t get to meet my late dad till he passed on . The separation took a toll on my mother. She was in and out of the mental health facilities but she did all her best in raising us well. I saw her sell her personal possessions like jewelry, clothing items just to send us to school. We had countless night of hunger strikes. I was always falling sick due to poor nutrition but in all, I am still grateful for the gift of a mother. She taught me God’s way, modelled Christ the best way she could and was the first to discover my artistic skill before anyone else.


  PROJECT_INSPIRE: What’s your educational background? 
Funmilola: I was enrolled in a military primary school(Hussey Military Primary School,Myhong Barracks,Fadeyi) at the age of six. After my primary school education, I moved to Mainland High School Fadeyi ,Lagos State for my secondary education. I graduated from the department of Fine and Applied Art at Federal College of Education,Akoka. But the journey wasn’t this straightforward. I struggled with low self-esteem for a long time and it affected many of the choices I made academically. For instance, in order not to be nailed a dullard,I went into the Commercial Class in secondary school whereas I was and still am a very creative person. Because of this choice, I struggled all through my secondary school education and graduated with very poor results. When I came to my senses, I wrote the GCE examination in pure art subjects and passed in one sitting. Unfortunately, I still didn’t learn from that experience. I spent another six years at home trying to gain admission into the University to study accounting. When I had had enough, I opted for what I was really designed to do,Arts! 


  PROJECT_INSPIRE: What are your contributions towards making Nigeria a better place?
  Funmilola: I am using my gift to empower the next generation of young people through nonprofit organization Cr8tivehand. Our mission at Cr8tivehand Initiative is to ensure that no child is left behind in the area of art and craft regardless of their background, age, race , religion or culture. We organize free arts and craft workshops for children from ages 4-19 years old. Our end goal is to raise creative thinkers in Nigeria. For us,arts does more for children than spark creativity; it enables them to see the beauty in the world and how they are a big part of that beauty. We help our beneficiaries see the beauty in their lives so that they will be motivated to recreate same in the world. 


PROJECT_INSPIRE: What have your achievements been? 
Funmilola: Since our inception, we have been able to ignite creativity in the minds of over 2000 children in low and high income communities. We have also built a strong volunteers’ team that has grown to 20 volunteers within a short time. The quality of the work we do came to limelight when our organization was nominated and later won The Most IMPACTFUL NGO of the Year in 2022.


  PROJECT_INSPIRE: What motivated you to do what you are doing? 
Funmilola: The sacrificial life of my mother and my childhood struggles accounts for my motivation to step out of my comfort zone and extend a hand of hope to other people; and Cr8tivehand Initiative is the way I continue to do so.


  PROJECT_INSPIRE: What has been your major challenge since you began your non-profit organization? 
Funmilola: Funding has been a major challenge for us. Another challenge is mobility. We are yet to get a means of transportation of our own and this causes us to spend a lot on transportation.


  PROJECT_INSPIRE: Many young people have great ideas, but lack of funds is always a stumbling block. What’s your advice in this regard? 
Funmilola: My answer would be, build and leverage on strategic relationships. When I started out first,I was jobless but I had within my circle of friends people who the skills,information and access I needed to kick off the Initiative and I reached out to them and here we are today. Young people must also learn to be consistent, keep doing what you are doing.


  PROJECT_INSPIRE: How has reactions of people especially fellow young people been like when they see you doing what you do and how have you always responded? 
  Funmilola: Their reactions have been more of WHY? Why do you have to work for FREE when you can work in big school and earn big . And my response is always the same, “ I love what I am doing . It gives me so much joy . I sleep well at night and wake up brighter the next morning. And yes I am training children for free but in the process I have learnt contentment too. The smiles I get from the children after each workshop is enough salary for me . The fact that I can also contribute my own quota to the national development is a big gain for me. 


PROJECT_INSPIRE: How have you been able to raise money to implement your ideas? 
Funmilola:I raise funds by creating flyers for awareness. I talk to some personal contacts and I also encouraged my facilitators and friends to help repost on their social media handles. And sometimes my husband also supports us financially. 


  PROJECT_INSPIRE: What are your prospects in the next 5 or 10 years? 
Funmilola: To ignite creativity in as many African children both in the low and high income communities as possible through the art and craft. 


  PROJECT_INSPIRE: The final word for the Nigerian youth. 
Funmilola: Stay YOUTHFUL. Don’t lose your youthfulness for anything in the world. Keep pushing, keep going and the sky will be your starting point. I love you all and I mean it.


  PROJECT_INSPIRE: We are glad to have you speak with us today. 
Funmilola: It is my pleasure. Let’s keep doing our bit.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Project Inspire Africa With Gift Siagumpa

With the leadership deficit in Africa,Gift Siagumpa has refused to sit on the sidelines and complain. He started the Master-Mind Leadership Foundation to help raise the next generation of Zambian leaders. In this interview with Project Inspire Africa, Gift shares the joy and struggles in his journey. Can we meet you? My name is Gift Siagumpa, aged 34, Zambian and I enjoy writing, networking in the quest to learn more from others and providing solutions to societal problems. Tell us briefly your childhood experience. As a child , I was privileged to be provided with the basics of life including a good education from one of the best schools in my time. I was also privileged to have parents who were involved in my life. My father was very intentional about parenting. He used to schedule coaching sessions with me and lived out what he taught. He is my biggest inspiration. What’s your educational background?  I began my education journey at Maamba Private School, that is, from Pre-school

Project-Inspire Interview With Mary Essien

There are thousands of low-income families living in rural areas and slums in the midst of our nation’s economic realities; one can only wonder how such families manage to survive, care for basic needs before thinking about education and pursuing dreams. An active Nigerian youth,Mary Essien, envisioned these difficulties and is taking action to solve them through interventions. In this interview with Project-Inspire, she shares about her work and the progress made so far. PROJECT_INSPIRE : Can we meet you? Mary : My name is Mary Fidelis Essien, an indigene of Akwa-Ibom State.I am 26-years-old, a Private Home Tutor, NGO Leader and entrepreneur.I am the Creative Director at Pearls Perfumerie, a brand that deals with perfume oils and body mist. I also head Mayree's Nuts a brand supplying freshly roasted groundnuts. To cap it all, I am the Executive Director of The Heartmenders Foundation; a non-profit organization that caters for the need of the less privileged, youths, nursing mother

PROJECT INSPIRE AFRICA SPEAKS WITH UBALDA MENSAH

From empowering young girls with vocational skills to improving the standard of schools in ghana, Ubalda Mensah is on a mission to empower the next generation of girls to take responsibility for their lives and contribute to nation building. In this interview with project Inspire Africa,Ubalda shares her story. Can we meet you? My name is Ubalda Mensah, 22-years-old citizen of Ghana and I love to travel   Tell us briefly your childhood experience. Growing up, I did not have the opportunity to get things on a silver platter. This in a way put some form of pressure on me to strive to be excellent in all I do. There was no room to fool around although I had the freedom to. My parents prioritized education and did their best to give me a solid foundation academically.   What’s your educational background? I began my academic journey at H&E Educational Centre before moving on to Aggrey Memorial A.M.E Zion Senior High School. I am currently an undergraduate at the Un