Skip to main content

PROJECT INSPIRE AFRICA INTERVIEW WITH JOYCE AUGUSTINO




Most girls in Joyce’s community are married out before they turn 18. Joyce is not comfortable with this narrative and has committed her life to changing this narrative. In this interview with Project Inspire Africa, Joyce shares her journey and her successes.

Can we meet you?

My name is Joyce Augustino, a 42-years old Tanzanian who enjoys travelling, music and singing.

Tell us briefly about your childhood experience

I am the 6th of nine children. I grew up in an environment where girls were discriminated and married off before they turn 18. I knew that this was not right and that dissatisfaction led me to do what I am doing right now.

What is your education Background?

I hold a Diploma in Business Administration from College of Business Education, Bachelor of science in Social Protection from Institute of Finance Management and Master of Arts in Development Studies from the University of Dar Es Salaam. I had my primary education at Katubuka Primary School in Kigoma Region before moving to St Francis De Sales Seminary Morogoro Region. I concluded my secondary school education at St.Don Bosco Seminary. Dodoma Region. 

What is your contribution towards making your Country a better place?

To change the narratives around the issues I am passionate about, I founded a nonprofit organization known as Women and Youth Initiatives. Our nonprofit organization promotes gender equality and human rights through advocacy; promoting protection measures against early child marriage and gender-based violence. We also facilitate government policies to remote areas where it cannot reach and also perform a variety of social services for the wellbeing of the people.

What are the steps you did take to bring your vision to fruition?

My first step was going to school, after my studies I registered an organization as a platform for me to raise my voice for the voiceless to demand their rights. I am still committed to doing just that.

What have been your achievements?

Our biggest achievement is the setting up of a tailoring center for adolescent mothers who were impregnated and left alone under the age of 18. We want them to be able to carter for themselves and their unborn children. Our organization has also been able to establish 75 groups of VICOBA(Village Community Banks) for women where we provide knowledge on all forms of gender based violence. So far the Organization has reached 26,000 women and youth in its advocacy against gender based violence.

What motivated you to do what you’re doing?

My desire to boys and girls reach their fullest potentials in spite of their background drives me. I want to see a violence free environment. This is why I am taking the steps I am taking.

What has been your major challenge since you have begun your non-profit?

Funding has been a major challenge. There are a lot of ideas in the pipeline that we are yet to start because of funding. However, I am committed to thinking out creative ways to raise funds.

How have you been able to raise money to implement your ideas?

I write project proposals to donors and mobilize my immediate community to support our projects in ways they can.

Could you share with us one or two experiences you have hard in the course of your campaigns that have impacted on you?

In one of our campaigns against Gender Based Violence, I came across young persons who have severely abused but grow above their pains and are today heroes and heroines in their own right. Their lives challenged me and I use their story to inspire other young people to believe in their individual ability to do great things. I have also learnt in the course of my journey that hard work pay. I started my volunteering journey at different organizations, working without pay but today I sit in my own office making my dreams come true.

What are your prospects in the next 5 to 10 years?

We would work to expanding our tailoring center to accommodate more girls and adolescent mothers and set up a music academy. We also want to establish GBV club’s in all public secondary and primary school in my district. There are 31 public secondary schools and 66 public primary schools.

What you think is the major cause of employment in Africa

Our education system is greatly flawed in that it prepares us to be employees and not employers of labour. We have to rethink our education system.  Our government should consider making it easier for startups to have access to funding and other incentives to help them thrive.

If you had an opportunity to speak to presidents in Africa, what would be your message.

Prioritize access to basic social amenities across Africa. We are long overdue.

Thank you for sharing your story with us

It is my pleasure

 

 

 Follow Busaosowo Foundation:





Visit our website at: www.busaosowofoundation.org

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Project Inspire Africa With Gift Siagumpa

With the leadership deficit in Africa,Gift Siagumpa has refused to sit on the sidelines and complain. He started the Master-Mind Leadership Foundation to help raise the next generation of Zambian leaders. In this interview with Project Inspire Africa, Gift shares the joy and struggles in his journey. Can we meet you? My name is Gift Siagumpa, aged 34, Zambian and I enjoy writing, networking in the quest to learn more from others and providing solutions to societal problems. Tell us briefly your childhood experience. As a child , I was privileged to be provided with the basics of life including a good education from one of the best schools in my time. I was also privileged to have parents who were involved in my life. My father was very intentional about parenting. He used to schedule coaching sessions with me and lived out what he taught. He is my biggest inspiration. What’s your educational background?  I began my education journey at Maamba Private School, that is, from Pre-school

Project-Inspire Interview With Mary Essien

There are thousands of low-income families living in rural areas and slums in the midst of our nation’s economic realities; one can only wonder how such families manage to survive, care for basic needs before thinking about education and pursuing dreams. An active Nigerian youth,Mary Essien, envisioned these difficulties and is taking action to solve them through interventions. In this interview with Project-Inspire, she shares about her work and the progress made so far. PROJECT_INSPIRE : Can we meet you? Mary : My name is Mary Fidelis Essien, an indigene of Akwa-Ibom State.I am 26-years-old, a Private Home Tutor, NGO Leader and entrepreneur.I am the Creative Director at Pearls Perfumerie, a brand that deals with perfume oils and body mist. I also head Mayree's Nuts a brand supplying freshly roasted groundnuts. To cap it all, I am the Executive Director of The Heartmenders Foundation; a non-profit organization that caters for the need of the less privileged, youths, nursing mother

PROJECT INSPIRE AFRICA SPEAKS WITH UBALDA MENSAH

From empowering young girls with vocational skills to improving the standard of schools in ghana, Ubalda Mensah is on a mission to empower the next generation of girls to take responsibility for their lives and contribute to nation building. In this interview with project Inspire Africa,Ubalda shares her story. Can we meet you? My name is Ubalda Mensah, 22-years-old citizen of Ghana and I love to travel   Tell us briefly your childhood experience. Growing up, I did not have the opportunity to get things on a silver platter. This in a way put some form of pressure on me to strive to be excellent in all I do. There was no room to fool around although I had the freedom to. My parents prioritized education and did their best to give me a solid foundation academically.   What’s your educational background? I began my academic journey at H&E Educational Centre before moving on to Aggrey Memorial A.M.E Zion Senior High School. I am currently an undergraduate at the Un