Skip to main content

PROJECT_INSPIRE INTERVIEW with Adepoju Deborah




A profound encounter with a slum community in Makoko forever altered Deborah's perspective on life. It was a transformative experience that led her to make a bold decision—to immerse herself in the slum to gain a deeper understanding of the children's struggles. Recognizing the urgency of their educational needs, Deborah resolved that their future couldn't be put on hold any longer. Thus, she embarked on a remarkable journey, founding a floating school initially catering to 17 children. Today, that humble initiative has blossomed into an educational haven, empowering and nurturing the minds of 269 young ones. In this exclusive interview with Project_Inspire, Deborah shares her inspiring story of compassion and resilience.

 PROJECT_INSPIRE: Can we meet you? 

Deborah: My name is Adepoju Adeola Deborah,a 26-year-old indigene of Ondo State,Nigeria


PROJECT_INSPIRE: Tell us briefly about your childhood?

Deborah:I grew up Alimosho/ Agege area of Lagos State in a middle-class family. I read a lot as a child because my father bought books every week. I was active in church and school and I lived a pretty childhood. 


PROJECT_INSPIRE:What is your educational background like? 

Deborah: I started my primary school education at Lusan International School, Alimosho in Lagos State, proceeded to Government Junior Secondary School, Agege in Lagos State and ended at Silver Child Model College,Ogun State for my Senior Secondary School 


PROJECT_INSPIRE: What are your contributions towards making Nigeria a better place? 

Deborah: To contribute to the achievement of the sustainable development goals, I founded the Hope and Support for the Slum Child Initiative, a nonprofit organization committed to eradicating hunger, providing mentorship, empowerment and education for children in slum areas. 


PROJECT_INSPIRE: What have your achievements been? 

Deborah: To cater for the education needs of children in slums, we started a free school in the floating slum of Makoko in Lagos State, Nigeria, which now provide free nursery and primary school education to 269 children. The numbers could have been more if we had the capacity in terms of space and funding to enroll more children. We run monthly feeding programs for slums,children’s day outreaches and yearly Christmas outreaches across the country. Our humanitarian interventions have reached 3,210 directly and we are doing more in 2023.

PROJECT_INSPIRE: What motivated you to do what you are doing?

Deborah: I saw a need and I felt that there is something I could do to meet that need. That’s why I am here and I have no intentions of looking back. 


PROJECT_INSPIRE: What has been your challenges since you began your non-profit? 

Deborah: Funding has been a major challenge. A lot more can be achieved in the communities we work in if we have the funding we need.

PROJECT_INSPIRE: How have you been able to raise funds to implement your ideas? 

Deborah: I have deployed several means to raise funds from advocacy, stakeholder’s engagements, networking, and seeking sponsorship from companies. We also have a culture of accountability. We judiciously use the monies we receive to do the work it was meant for without stories.


PROJECT_INSPIRE: What are your prospects in the next 5-10years?

Deborah: We want to build more schools in slums across Nigeria and equip them to function independently. 


PROJECT_INSPIRE: The final word for the Nigerian youth. 

Deborah:Together we can make Nigeria a great nation 


PROJECT_INSPIRE: Thank you for sharing your story with us. 

Deborah:Thank you too for having me

Comments

  1. Humanitarian per excellence
    She's doing amazing with her foundation
    Hope and support for the slum child initiative
    I celebrate u 🎊🎊

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Done Deborah❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Project Inspire Africa With Gift Siagumpa

With the leadership deficit in Africa,Gift Siagumpa has refused to sit on the sidelines and complain. He started the Master-Mind Leadership Foundation to help raise the next generation of Zambian leaders. In this interview with Project Inspire Africa, Gift shares the joy and struggles in his journey. Can we meet you? My name is Gift Siagumpa, aged 34, Zambian and I enjoy writing, networking in the quest to learn more from others and providing solutions to societal problems. Tell us briefly your childhood experience. As a child , I was privileged to be provided with the basics of life including a good education from one of the best schools in my time. I was also privileged to have parents who were involved in my life. My father was very intentional about parenting. He used to schedule coaching sessions with me and lived out what he taught. He is my biggest inspiration. What’s your educational background?  I began my education journey at Maamba Private School, that is, from Pre-school

Project-Inspire Interview With Mary Essien

There are thousands of low-income families living in rural areas and slums in the midst of our nation’s economic realities; one can only wonder how such families manage to survive, care for basic needs before thinking about education and pursuing dreams. An active Nigerian youth,Mary Essien, envisioned these difficulties and is taking action to solve them through interventions. In this interview with Project-Inspire, she shares about her work and the progress made so far. PROJECT_INSPIRE : Can we meet you? Mary : My name is Mary Fidelis Essien, an indigene of Akwa-Ibom State.I am 26-years-old, a Private Home Tutor, NGO Leader and entrepreneur.I am the Creative Director at Pearls Perfumerie, a brand that deals with perfume oils and body mist. I also head Mayree's Nuts a brand supplying freshly roasted groundnuts. To cap it all, I am the Executive Director of The Heartmenders Foundation; a non-profit organization that caters for the need of the less privileged, youths, nursing mother

PROJECT INSPIRE AFRICA SPEAKS WITH UBALDA MENSAH

From empowering young girls with vocational skills to improving the standard of schools in ghana, Ubalda Mensah is on a mission to empower the next generation of girls to take responsibility for their lives and contribute to nation building. In this interview with project Inspire Africa,Ubalda shares her story. Can we meet you? My name is Ubalda Mensah, 22-years-old citizen of Ghana and I love to travel   Tell us briefly your childhood experience. Growing up, I did not have the opportunity to get things on a silver platter. This in a way put some form of pressure on me to strive to be excellent in all I do. There was no room to fool around although I had the freedom to. My parents prioritized education and did their best to give me a solid foundation academically.   What’s your educational background? I began my academic journey at H&E Educational Centre before moving on to Aggrey Memorial A.M.E Zion Senior High School. I am currently an undergraduate at the Un