Skip to main content

PROJECT_INSPIRE WITH BARBARA MADU

After being contacted to write an article for a women's health magazine, Barbara Madu came across obstetric fistula for the first time and wondered why nothing much had been said about the health condition. Her desire to fill the gap gave birth to The VVF Initiative, a platform that provides prevention, rehabilitation and reintegration services for obstetric fistula patients. We are glad to introduce Barbara Madu as our guest for March.



PROJECT_INSPIRE: Can we meet you?
Barbara: I am Barbara Madu Esq. from Imo State, Nigeria. I am a women's health enthusiast with great interest in obstetric fistula.


  PROJECT_INSPIRE: Tell us briefly your childhood experience.
Barbara: Growing up for me was interesting. Because my parents were academics, everything was more like a competition of some sort. You just had to get it right. You can say that affected me greatly, but all in all, it was great fun.



PROJECT_INSPIRE: What’s your educational background?
Barbara:I attended Marist Comprehensive College, Nteje, Anambra State, and Federal Government College, Nise, Anambra State. I have a bachelor’s degree in law from Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka, Anambra State, and a BL from the Nigerian Law School.


  PROJECT_INSPIRE: What are your contributions towards making Nigeria a better place?
Barbara: I am focused primarily on fostering literacy in matters concerning women's health. In April 2018 I, together with my friend Nkasike Gbana and a wonderful team, started The Vesico Vaginal Fistula Initiative (The VVF Initiative). We were all at the Nigerian Law School, Yola Campus, at the time. At first, all I wanted to do was to raise awareness on obstetric fistula and other forms of fistula. I was amazed at how ignorant many people were of the subject. Even the educated were not left out. I believed and still do believe that if obstetric fistula is talked about as we talk about diseases such as cancer and AIDS, then, the tide of the condition would fall drastically because obstetric fistula is entirely preventable. So, at first, we all wanted to do a social-media campaign, and that was actually how we started. The campaign was successful and also made us realise that we needed to do more to aid the eradication of fistula from our nation. We decided that starting a nonprofit geared towards doing more would be extremely beneficial.


PROJECT_INSPIRE: What have been your achievements?
Barbara: Some progress has been made towards achieving our goal. We have carried out several campaigns for sexual rights and against obstetric fistula. In one of the social-media campaigns, we had different individuals post a personalized message on obstetric fistula as well as an info card specially designed by us on obstetric fistula on their social-media platforms. We have also carried out several on-site campaigns on obstetric fistula. We have had these campaigns in Lagos, Kano, Uyo, Akwa Ibom, Jos, Plateau, Ondo State, and the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja. These campaigns were secondary-school awareness campaigns and market outreach where we reached out to people and enlightened them on obstetric fistula. This we did because we believed that raising awareness was the first step towards eradicating fistula from the country. Last year, we had the opportunity to be invited by TVC News, Lagos, to speak on the condition on a special programme to mark the International Day to End Obstetric Fistula.


  PROJECT_INSPIRE: What motivated you to do what you are doing?
Barbara: In my third year at University, I was contacted by a friend to write an article for a women's health magazine. I didn't know what exactly to write about and so I started researching. I stumbled on obstetric fistula and became intrigued by the subject. I was surprised to find out that this kind of illness existed and no one was talking about it. I decided to do a little survey back then on some of my classmates and realised that most of them, if not all, were ignorant of the subject. I ended up writing on obstetric fistula and decided that I was going to start an organisation to raise awareness on it. But somehow, I figured out that I'd get to do it later in life. I wanted to grow up, make enough money, and then start up. (Laughs) Well, I had this mindset until I went to the Nigerian Law School, Yola Campus, Adamawa State. At a time, I kept on having a nudge and I knew it was God asking me to start. I delayed for a while because I was wondering where the funds would come from. Then the idea of an online campaign struck. Then I said, “Why not a social-media campaign?” I meant it would not cost much to raise awareness. So, I talked to my friend and co-founder, Nkasike Gbana, who had some great ideas. Together we talked to a few other friends who became founding members. We had a brainstorming session and agreed to carry out a social-media campaign. On 23rd May 2019, we had our first campaign. It was one where we had different individuals post an info card (with their faces and pithy writing on obstetric fistula) on their social-media pages while we reposted on ours. You may visit our page: @thevvfinitiative on Instagram and Facebook to see more of what we did. We knew the campaign was just not enough and so The VVF Initiative started officially. All in all, I can say it's a vision inspired by God's spirit; His Inspiration, and I can't wait to show the world all the amazing things we will do.


PROJECT_INSPIRE: Tell us more about The VVF Initiative.
Barbara: At The VVF Initiative, we adopt an approach which we call PRR—Prevention, Rehabilitation, and Reintegration. The different awareness campaigns we have organised and will continue to organise are subsumed under prevention. Obstetric fistula can be prevented if women are allowed to make informed decisions about maternal health. This is our belief. Everyone should be involved in spreading the word about obstetric fistula and fistula in general. Under rehabilitation; as fistula can be treated through surgeries only, there is sponsorship of fistula surgeries and, of course, provision of hospitals with medical consumables. Under reintegration; we counsel fistula survivors and train them in different handicrafts to enable them, especially those that have been abandoned, to get their lives back. This is how we make our quota to aid Nigeria in realising its goals for maternal health.


  PROJECT_INSPIRE: What has been your major challenge since you began your nonprofit?
Barbara: Our challenge mainly has been lack of funds; raising money for our different projects. But the good news is, “We still get things done”.


  PROJECT_INSPIRE: Many young people have great ideas, but lack of funds is always a stumbling block. What’s your advice in this regard?
Barbara :As I have earlier said, when there is a vision, there is always provision for the cause. All that you need do is to be fully persuaded by your project so much that it drives you. The funds needed will gravitate towards you. I say this because when I started, we didn’t exactly have much money, but as people got to know what we were doing, they became interested and wanted to be part of it. We had to talk to some people to donate, while some others gave out of their own free will.


  PROJECT_INSPIRE: How have you been able to raise money to implement your ideas?
Barbara: Most of our projects have been self-funded—by the team and, of course, our family members and friends who support the cause. We look forward to getting grants from both local and international organisations and corporations.


  PROJECT_INSPIRE: Could you please share with us one or two experience(s) you have had in the course of your campaign that has/have impacted on you?
  Barbara: One experience that has shaped me and made me want to do more was my visit to the Family Life Center, Mbibrit-Itam, Uyo, Akwa Ibom State. Seeing first-hand what those women (most of them really young) went through spurred one into definite action. Obstetric fistula is a disease that demeans. Women victims have a leak of urine, and in extreme cases, faeces. No woman should have to suffer this.


PROJECT_INSPIRE: What are your prospects in the next 5 or 10 years?
Barbara: Firstly, I would say to sponsor surgeries for fistula patients. Also, we will have intensified efforts in raising awareness about fistula not only in Nigeria but also in Africa as a whole. What is more, we intend to have a national congress on obstetric fistula because we believe that having one voice and standing as a unit will help greatly in eradicating fistula from Nigeria and the rest of Africa, and so, pioneering a congress for all fistula surgeons, hospitals and organisations is something we look forward to accomplishing in the near future.


PROJECT_INSPIRE: What do you think is the major cause of unemployment among the youth today, and how can we get over this?
  Barbara: For me, I feel the major cause of unemployment in Nigeria today is the fetish for white-collar jobs. Young people graduate and the next thing is that they are looking for an office to work in. That’s not to say that there is something wrong with searching for a job per se, but while waiting to get that dream job, you can do other things to make money. Thankfully, in the present day, the narrative is changing. Many young people are creating opportunities for themselves which, if you ask me, is a laudable development in our generation.


PROJECT_INSPIRE: What would you say is the role of the youth in national development?
  Barbara: The old saying that the youth are leaders of tomorrow is credible, but I dare say that the youth can be leaders of even today. We have to begin now to create a tomorrow we want our children to live in. I am a believer in doing the best you can for the society in which you find yourself. The truth is that no one is going to develop Nigeria for us; we have to do it ourselves. So, that idea you think is minute may just be exactly what society needs because every idea you are blessed with is special.


  PROJECT_INSPIRE: The final word for the Nigerian youth.
Barbara: Everyone can make a real difference. It takes just one person to shake things up. Believe earnestly in that dream you call minute and just begin. Start immediately and you'll see how far you will go, and of necessity, believe in God.


Many thanks to our editor: Pookers Literary & Editing World. www.pookers.com.ng +234 703 009 4966


Follow us on Facebook and Instagram @BUSAOSOWO FOUNDATION
Email: bofinitiatives@gmail.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Project-Inspire Interview With Mary Essien

There are thousands of low-income families living in rural areas and slums in the midst of our nation’s economic realities; one can only wonder how such families manage to survive, care for basic needs before thinking about education and pursuing dreams. An active Nigerian youth,Mary Essien, envisioned these difficulties and is taking action to solve them through interventions. In this interview with Project-Inspire, she shares about her work and the progress made so far. PROJECT_INSPIRE : Can we meet you? Mary : My name is Mary Fidelis Essien, an indigene of Akwa-Ibom State.I am 26-years-old, a Private Home Tutor, NGO Leader and entrepreneur.I am the Creative Director at Pearls Perfumerie, a brand that deals with perfume oils and body mist. I also head Mayree's Nuts a brand supplying freshly roasted groundnuts. To cap it all, I am the Executive Director of The Heartmenders Foundation; a non-profit organization that caters for the need of the less privileged, youths, nursing mother

Project Inspire Africa With Gift Siagumpa

With the leadership deficit in Africa,Gift Siagumpa has refused to sit on the sidelines and complain. He started the Master-Mind Leadership Foundation to help raise the next generation of Zambian leaders. In this interview with Project Inspire Africa, Gift shares the joy and struggles in his journey. Can we meet you? My name is Gift Siagumpa, aged 34, Zambian and I enjoy writing, networking in the quest to learn more from others and providing solutions to societal problems. Tell us briefly your childhood experience. As a child , I was privileged to be provided with the basics of life including a good education from one of the best schools in my time. I was also privileged to have parents who were involved in my life. My father was very intentional about parenting. He used to schedule coaching sessions with me and lived out what he taught. He is my biggest inspiration. What’s your educational background?  I began my education journey at Maamba Private School, that is, from Pre-school

PROJECT INSPIRE AFRICA SPEAKS WITH UBALDA MENSAH

From empowering young girls with vocational skills to improving the standard of schools in ghana, Ubalda Mensah is on a mission to empower the next generation of girls to take responsibility for their lives and contribute to nation building. In this interview with project Inspire Africa,Ubalda shares her story. Can we meet you? My name is Ubalda Mensah, 22-years-old citizen of Ghana and I love to travel   Tell us briefly your childhood experience. Growing up, I did not have the opportunity to get things on a silver platter. This in a way put some form of pressure on me to strive to be excellent in all I do. There was no room to fool around although I had the freedom to. My parents prioritized education and did their best to give me a solid foundation academically.   What’s your educational background? I began my academic journey at H&E Educational Centre before moving on to Aggrey Memorial A.M.E Zion Senior High School. I am currently an undergraduate at the Un