Skip to main content

PROJECT INSPIRE AFRICA INTERVIEW WITH NYEMBO SALUMU JAY







From one of the toughest countries in Africa, one African youth is inspiring hundreds of youths across 30 nations of the world to take action against violence, gender inequality and climate change. Today, we are glad to introduce Nyembo Jay, founder of Impact Youth Sustainability (IYS), Congo as he shares with us about his work and the journey so far.

Can we meet you?
I am Nyembo Salumu Jay. I am a 24 years old citizen of the Democratic Republic of Congo.


Briefly tell us about briefly your childhood experience.
I was born in a tiny village where I grew with a lot of fun memories. I was a confident child. I loved football and played it even to the detriment of my studies. It was after my playmates moved to another class while I failed that I realized how unwise my decision has been. Not all my memories as a child was pleasant but thank God I learnt early to dream big and move on.


What’s your educational background?
I attended Hakima Primary School and Kaumo Institute for my primary and secondary school education respectively before moving to Université de Lubumbashi where I bagged a Bachelor's Degree in International Relations.


What is the level of youth political participation in your country?
It is minimal. The majority of youths are engaged in community volunteering and religiousn aActivities since everyone is scared because if you want to be seen, you want to be killed. Politics and politicking is a struggle only between the powerful. Those who are not powerful politically don't get involved less you would be killed or, arrested and jailed secretly.


What are your contributions towards making your country a better place? 
As a humanitarian young leader, I am involved in several community based projects/initiatives 'inspiring young people like myself to look within and without to see the change they can bring no matter how small.
I am the founder of Impact Youth Sustainability (IYS)-a youth-led not-for-profit organization with presence in over 30 countries. Our goal is to inspire youths across Africa and beyond to take community based actions to combat violence, gender inequality and climate change. Our training events have attracted 700 participants from 60 countries. During the pandemic,our team in Bangladesh launched the Bleed With Dignity Project and distributed sanitary padfs to underprivileged girls and women to improve menstrual hygiene during the lockdown. Our team in Nigeria is also got involved in medical advocacy and treatment for the unreached.



What steps did you take to bring your vision to fruition?
The first step I took was to build an effective team with people who can perform maximally without supervision. This has made it possible for us to host seamlessly our online and offline events in different countries. Our doors are continually open to new ideas and more effective ways of achieving our goals.


What have been your achievements?
More than 30 young people in my country (Congo) have been inspired by the social change that is made possible through the efforts of Impact Youth Sustainability and they are taking action to replicate same all over the country. Our women empowerment and homeless children skills acquisitions outreaches is well attended. Our partnership with the University of Malaysia under the Ambassadors of Sustainability program has attracted speakers from high profile organizations. This partnership has trained over a 1000 young leaders and more is still to come.

What motivated you to do what you are doing?
I had always dreamed of being at the forefront of social change in my country. Through IYS, that dream has come true.

What has been your major challenge since you began your nonprofit?
Funding has been the major challenge.



How have you been able to raise money to implement your ideas?
I reach out to people who can help and those who are drawn to what we do usually support us.

 
 What are your prospects in the next 5 or 10 years?
In the next 5 or 10 years, I envision that what we are doing will be able to change the face of Congo for good.


What do you think is the major cause of unemployment in Africa, and how can we get over this? 
The combined effect of poor education and bad leadership has been the major cause of unemployment in our continent. The way forward is for everyone to be responsible first for your life and that of your nation. Youths must learn to self-develop and begin to think as changemakers. We need to find our purpose and work towards achieving it

If you had an opportunity to speak to presidents in Africa, what would be your message?.
My message would be :  actively engage youth in governance at all levels.


Thank you for sharing your story with us.





Follow us on:
Email: bofinitiatives@gmail.com

Comments

  1. I am FRITZ MBIFORYUI,NYEMBO a CAMEROONIAN, I meet SALUMU JAY on Facebook as he commented on my post in More About Agriculture And The World. There he asked of my WhatsApp number and since then till date, he Is really an Inspiration to this great generation I can testify. He pushes everyone to see and unleash the energy in them. He is very smart, energetic, a leader with examples. I am very grateful meeting him. I see him, beyond Congo but the whole world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got connected to Jay on YALI Facebook page in 2019. Since then I have admired his inspiration for the empowerment of youths in Africa and the world at large which interested me more to take action in my country and I am now heading Impact Youth Sustainability Liberia.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Project-Inspire Interview With Mary Essien

There are thousands of low-income families living in rural areas and slums in the midst of our nation’s economic realities; one can only wonder how such families manage to survive, care for basic needs before thinking about education and pursuing dreams. An active Nigerian youth,Mary Essien, envisioned these difficulties and is taking action to solve them through interventions. In this interview with Project-Inspire, she shares about her work and the progress made so far. PROJECT_INSPIRE : Can we meet you? Mary : My name is Mary Fidelis Essien, an indigene of Akwa-Ibom State.I am 26-years-old, a Private Home Tutor, NGO Leader and entrepreneur.I am the Creative Director at Pearls Perfumerie, a brand that deals with perfume oils and body mist. I also head Mayree's Nuts a brand supplying freshly roasted groundnuts. To cap it all, I am the Executive Director of The Heartmenders Foundation; a non-profit organization that caters for the need of the less privileged, youths, nursing mother

Project Inspire Africa With Gift Siagumpa

With the leadership deficit in Africa,Gift Siagumpa has refused to sit on the sidelines and complain. He started the Master-Mind Leadership Foundation to help raise the next generation of Zambian leaders. In this interview with Project Inspire Africa, Gift shares the joy and struggles in his journey. Can we meet you? My name is Gift Siagumpa, aged 34, Zambian and I enjoy writing, networking in the quest to learn more from others and providing solutions to societal problems. Tell us briefly your childhood experience. As a child , I was privileged to be provided with the basics of life including a good education from one of the best schools in my time. I was also privileged to have parents who were involved in my life. My father was very intentional about parenting. He used to schedule coaching sessions with me and lived out what he taught. He is my biggest inspiration. What’s your educational background?  I began my education journey at Maamba Private School, that is, from Pre-school

PROJECT INSPIRE AFRICA SPEAKS WITH UBALDA MENSAH

From empowering young girls with vocational skills to improving the standard of schools in ghana, Ubalda Mensah is on a mission to empower the next generation of girls to take responsibility for their lives and contribute to nation building. In this interview with project Inspire Africa,Ubalda shares her story. Can we meet you? My name is Ubalda Mensah, 22-years-old citizen of Ghana and I love to travel   Tell us briefly your childhood experience. Growing up, I did not have the opportunity to get things on a silver platter. This in a way put some form of pressure on me to strive to be excellent in all I do. There was no room to fool around although I had the freedom to. My parents prioritized education and did their best to give me a solid foundation academically.   What’s your educational background? I began my academic journey at H&E Educational Centre before moving on to Aggrey Memorial A.M.E Zion Senior High School. I am currently an undergraduate at the Un