Skip to main content

Project Inspire Africa Interview With Zohlanga Gaseb




Zohlanga Gaseb believes that every child deserves to learn whether through formal or non-formal education. Through Purple Pencil Foundation, she is reaching out to rural children and encouraging a reading culture in Namibia’s unreached children. In this interview, she speaks about her journey.



Can we meet you?
My name is Zohlanga Gaseb. I am a Namibian Lawyer and Social Entrepreneur.


Tell us briefly your childhood experience
I am the last of six children raised by both parents. My parents were pro-school and I had no choice but to go to school. We did a lot of things together as a family.  I travelled a lot with my family and sports was a must and it paid off today.


What’s your educational background?
 I attended Westside High School,Swakopmund for my primary and secondary education. After there, I proceeded to the University of Namibia where I obtained a degree in Law.


What are your contributions towards making your country a better place?
I run a non-governmental organization know Purple Pencil Foundation is a Namibian youth-development and empowerment foundation with formal and non-formal education as its thematic areas. I have always believed that I have a purpose and part of that purpose is to share with others the knowledge I have gained over time. The whole idea of Purple Pencil Foundation started after I visited a small village in Namibia. For the 1st time I saw children standing in bars as if that was the only means of recreation. I was moved to create a different narrative. As I thought about what to do, I decided to launch a Donate a Book Campaign and that was the beginning of Purple Pencil Foundation. As an organization, we also act as middlemen creating the link between youths and organizations that can respond to the problems facing them.


What steps did you take to bring your vision to fruition? 
The first thing I did was to share my vision with the people closet to me. The people on my team are people that are close to me. Also because of my knowledge of the Law, I already knew what steps to take to give my organization a legal personality.


What have been your achievements?  
When we launched the Donate a Book Campaign, we began by collecting books from individuals and organizations and giving them back to people who need them. Since we began, we have built and equipped a Library with 450 books. We have also distributed 50 books to an orphanage. We have also conducted a Self-defense training for women and girls in collaboration with some organizations. We run Career Exhibitions to let every child know that there are multiple opportunities to excel. These exhibitions have attracted high profile personalities like the Namibian Deputy Minister of Youths and the Mayor of the town. 


What motivated you to do what you are doing? 
I have observed that teachers pay more attention to the A and B student and the rest of the students are left to figure things by themselves. My desire has been to provide every child the opportunity to be educated and attain his highest potentials whether or not he is A, B or C student. I am not A or B student but I have so achieved so much and this is what I want to students to know. 


What has been your major challenge since you began your nonprofit? 
Setting up a permanent team. Because our work is voluntary, we have to deal with people leaving and joining the organization faster than they should. We have also struggled with funding.


How have you been able to raise money to implement your ideas?
Our team members contribute to the projects we implement. We do a lot of fundraising, writing letters here and there. Although we don’t have fixed donors, we are still able to achieve our goals using what is available to us per time.


Could you share with us one or two experience(s) you have had in the course of your campaign that has impacted on you? 
Although my work as a lawyer requires that I read a lot, I have not always liked reading but during the Donate a Book Campaign, we had people sending it pictures of what they are reading and it motivated me to read more. There was no way I could be encouraging others to read when I don’t read as much or frequent as I should.


 What are your prospects in the next 5 or 10 years? 
I want to establish a school that will cater for the needs of every student. I am also working towards getting fixed funding so that we can do more than we are doing now.


What do you think is the major cause of unemployment in Africa, and how can we get over this?
I would say that the twin evil of corruption and an imbalanced educational system have heightened the unemployment crisis.


If you had an opportunity to speak to presidents in Africa, what would be your message.
Our leaders have to redefine their leadership styles and create better opportunities for youths to grow.


Thank you for sharing your story with us. Keep up the good work.
It is my pleasure.



Follow Busaosowo Foundation on:







Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Project-Inspire Interview With Mary Essien

There are thousands of low-income families living in rural areas and slums in the midst of our nation’s economic realities; one can only wonder how such families manage to survive, care for basic needs before thinking about education and pursuing dreams. An active Nigerian youth,Mary Essien, envisioned these difficulties and is taking action to solve them through interventions. In this interview with Project-Inspire, she shares about her work and the progress made so far. PROJECT_INSPIRE : Can we meet you? Mary : My name is Mary Fidelis Essien, an indigene of Akwa-Ibom State.I am 26-years-old, a Private Home Tutor, NGO Leader and entrepreneur.I am the Creative Director at Pearls Perfumerie, a brand that deals with perfume oils and body mist. I also head Mayree's Nuts a brand supplying freshly roasted groundnuts. To cap it all, I am the Executive Director of The Heartmenders Foundation; a non-profit organization that caters for the need of the less privileged, youths, nursing mother

Project Inspire Africa With Gift Siagumpa

With the leadership deficit in Africa,Gift Siagumpa has refused to sit on the sidelines and complain. He started the Master-Mind Leadership Foundation to help raise the next generation of Zambian leaders. In this interview with Project Inspire Africa, Gift shares the joy and struggles in his journey. Can we meet you? My name is Gift Siagumpa, aged 34, Zambian and I enjoy writing, networking in the quest to learn more from others and providing solutions to societal problems. Tell us briefly your childhood experience. As a child , I was privileged to be provided with the basics of life including a good education from one of the best schools in my time. I was also privileged to have parents who were involved in my life. My father was very intentional about parenting. He used to schedule coaching sessions with me and lived out what he taught. He is my biggest inspiration. What’s your educational background?  I began my education journey at Maamba Private School, that is, from Pre-school

PROJECT INSPIRE AFRICA SPEAKS WITH UBALDA MENSAH

From empowering young girls with vocational skills to improving the standard of schools in ghana, Ubalda Mensah is on a mission to empower the next generation of girls to take responsibility for their lives and contribute to nation building. In this interview with project Inspire Africa,Ubalda shares her story. Can we meet you? My name is Ubalda Mensah, 22-years-old citizen of Ghana and I love to travel   Tell us briefly your childhood experience. Growing up, I did not have the opportunity to get things on a silver platter. This in a way put some form of pressure on me to strive to be excellent in all I do. There was no room to fool around although I had the freedom to. My parents prioritized education and did their best to give me a solid foundation academically.   What’s your educational background? I began my academic journey at H&E Educational Centre before moving on to Aggrey Memorial A.M.E Zion Senior High School. I am currently an undergraduate at the Un