Skip to main content

Project Inspire Africa Interview With Vivian Twum




Helping communities live healthier lives is at the heart of Health Bloom Organization and in this interview with Project Inspire Africa,Vivian Twum talks about Health Bloom Organization and its impact in Ghanaian rural communities.


Can we meet you?
I am Vivian Twum, 21-years-old Ghanaian citizen. I love reading, teaching and volunteering.

Tell us briefly your childhood experience.
My childhood was memorable. Having an elder sister made it fun and made growing easy for me. My mom singlehandedly took care of us and catered for our education. Because I was introverted and did not know how to interact well with people (now it is a little better), I was too shy to participate in quizzes but I was really good when it came to drama and even won best actress of the year.

What’s your educational background?
My academic journey started at crèche at Holy Child Academy, Odorkor Official Town and later moved to Highbury International School. After my Basic Examination Certificate Examination (BECE), I got into Swedru Senior High (SWESCO) for my secondary school education. I am currently a third-year student at University of Ghana reading BSC medical laboratory sciences.

What are your contributions towards making your country a better place?
I run a nonprofit organization called Health Bloom Organization. At Health Bloom Organization, we seek to promote the Sustainable Development Goal Three (good health and well-being) in rural communities. Our target groups are children, women and the aged. Our objectives toward making Ghana a better place are;
To provide health screening
To mobilize resources in advocating to students, and people in communities on health issues
To form health bloom clubs in private and government basic schools
To involve in clean up exercises
To provide potable water for areas with water crisis
To donate to hospital materials, prescribe drugs and materials to rural clinics and targeted groups in the community respectively.
To partner with other NGOs that share the same mission as HBO for nation development.


What steps did you take to bring your vision to fruition?
My first step was to share the vision with likeminded individuals and began to build a team with those who bought the vision. After that, I began working on our online presence, creating social media handles and talking about what we want to do. I also sought collaborations from other organizations with similar goals.

What have been your achievements?
When we were ready to launch out, our first physical activity was an advocacy campaign on personal hygiene for junior high school students. Through this campaign, we were able to donate hygiene products to 126 students. We have carried out breast cancer awareness, donated a first aid box to a basic school and dewormed 37 orphans. We also run a Health Bloom Club that brings together 60 students monthly.

What motivated you to do what you are doing?
As a beneficiary of a scholarship program (CAMFED) and having gotten this far through the program, I specifically want to use the skills and knowledge gained throughout my degree to help others live healthier lives. This is my motivation.

What has been your major challenge since you began your nonprofit?
Our major challenge is that of funding. We are in the process of registering the organization and the non-registered status has contributed to our lack of funding because in Ghana it is very difficult to get companies and other organizations donate to your course if you are not registered

How have you been able to raise money to implement your ideas?
When it comes to raising of funds for the non-profit, we mostly receive them from individuals; ranging from students to workers as well as our own membership contribution to the organization.

Could you share with us one or two experience(s) you have had in the course of your campaign that has impacted on you?
In the course of my campaign, I came across a young headmaster of a private basic school, who encouraged me to continue the work I was doing. He narrated stories of young leaders who started very little and are currently doing well with their organization. His words meant a lot to me. If I feel like giving up, I remember his words.

 What are your prospects in the next 5 or 10 years?
In the next 5 to 10 years, I see the organization gaining national relevance and actively involved in solving health related issues in rural areas, working hand in hand with the ministry of health in Ghana.

What do you think is the major cause of unemployment in Africa, and how can we get over this? 
In my opinion, nepotism is what causes unemployment in Africa. There are actually more jobs in Africa than we think; it is just that people who are in high positions strive to maintain those jobs for their relatives to the detriment of those who are most qualified for the jobs. 


If you had an opportunity to speak to presidents in Africa, what would be your message.
My message would be that, the human resource (youth) of the continent should be utilized in various sectors so that our productivity will increase and more jobs will be created.

Thank You Vivian for sharing your story with us
It is my pleasure

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Project Inspire Africa With Gift Siagumpa

With the leadership deficit in Africa,Gift Siagumpa has refused to sit on the sidelines and complain. He started the Master-Mind Leadership Foundation to help raise the next generation of Zambian leaders. In this interview with Project Inspire Africa, Gift shares the joy and struggles in his journey. Can we meet you? My name is Gift Siagumpa, aged 34, Zambian and I enjoy writing, networking in the quest to learn more from others and providing solutions to societal problems. Tell us briefly your childhood experience. As a child , I was privileged to be provided with the basics of life including a good education from one of the best schools in my time. I was also privileged to have parents who were involved in my life. My father was very intentional about parenting. He used to schedule coaching sessions with me and lived out what he taught. He is my biggest inspiration. What’s your educational background?  I began my education journey at Maamba Private School, that is, from Pre-school

Project-Inspire Interview With Mary Essien

There are thousands of low-income families living in rural areas and slums in the midst of our nation’s economic realities; one can only wonder how such families manage to survive, care for basic needs before thinking about education and pursuing dreams. An active Nigerian youth,Mary Essien, envisioned these difficulties and is taking action to solve them through interventions. In this interview with Project-Inspire, she shares about her work and the progress made so far. PROJECT_INSPIRE : Can we meet you? Mary : My name is Mary Fidelis Essien, an indigene of Akwa-Ibom State.I am 26-years-old, a Private Home Tutor, NGO Leader and entrepreneur.I am the Creative Director at Pearls Perfumerie, a brand that deals with perfume oils and body mist. I also head Mayree's Nuts a brand supplying freshly roasted groundnuts. To cap it all, I am the Executive Director of The Heartmenders Foundation; a non-profit organization that caters for the need of the less privileged, youths, nursing mother

PROJECT INSPIRE AFRICA SPEAKS WITH UBALDA MENSAH

From empowering young girls with vocational skills to improving the standard of schools in ghana, Ubalda Mensah is on a mission to empower the next generation of girls to take responsibility for their lives and contribute to nation building. In this interview with project Inspire Africa,Ubalda shares her story. Can we meet you? My name is Ubalda Mensah, 22-years-old citizen of Ghana and I love to travel   Tell us briefly your childhood experience. Growing up, I did not have the opportunity to get things on a silver platter. This in a way put some form of pressure on me to strive to be excellent in all I do. There was no room to fool around although I had the freedom to. My parents prioritized education and did their best to give me a solid foundation academically.   What’s your educational background? I began my academic journey at H&E Educational Centre before moving on to Aggrey Memorial A.M.E Zion Senior High School. I am currently an undergraduate at the Un