Skip to main content

PROJECT_INSPIRE INTERVIEW WITH NWOKOCHA CHIJIOKE






After miraculously breaking free from depression and substance abuse, Nwokocha Chijioke dedicated his life to helping young people in Nigeria deal with mental health struggles and live free from addiction. In this interview with Project Inspire,Chijioke tells his story. 



PROJECT_INSPIRE: Can we meet you?
  Chijioke : My name is Nwokocha Chijioke P. I am a social Innovator, a critical thinker, an Addiction & MHPSS Professional and the Founder of Motivator's Crib Africa. I am a member of the International Society of Substance Use Professionals (ISSUP), a Civic Hive Fellow, a Delegate of the 2022 UN ECOSOC Youth Forum. 


  PROJECT_INSPIRE: Tell us briefly your childhood experience. 
Chijioke : Growing up, I have always wanted to give back to the society, become a Motivator and a problem solver. Serving humanity has been a passion and it has always helped shape the course of my life.


  PROJECT_INSPIRE: What’s your educational background? 
Chijioke : I had my primary school education at Alvan Ikoku College of Education,Owerri,Imo State before moving to Government Secondary School for my secondary school education. I hold a bachelor’s degree in Dental Technology from the Federal University of Technology, Owerri,Imo State.


  PROJECT_INSPIRE: What are your contributions towards making Nigeria a better place? 
Chijioke: I think solutions to the problems that confront the young people around me particularly in the areas of mental health, drug abuse and family conflict. It is my belief that every life is precious and it is our collective responsibility to save lives. This is why I started Motivator's Crib Africa, a nonprofit organization promoting mental health through drug abuse prevention and treatment. We work to build effective and sustainable frameworks for advocacy on drug abuse prevention while creating support systems for young persons in response to stigmatization, the need for accessibility and affordability of treatment and recovery services for People Who Use Drugs (PWUDs), Women who use/inject drugs (WWU/IDs), high risk drug users, the depressed and Most-at-risk and vulnerable Populations (MAR&VPs). 


  PROJECT_INSPIRE: What have your achievements been?
  Chijioke : Our organization influence spans across 12 States in Nigeria. We have directly engaged over 5,624 persons (young adults majorly) through our drug prevention campaigns, implemented over 20 projects/activities in 6 states, carried out direct interventions for 20 persons, visited 9 schools, colleges and teens gatherings. Under our continuum of care system, we have 9 persons who have enrolled and completed their treatment programs. In addition to these, we have an active 100 community members in our network, all committed to helping us do better. 


PROJECT_INSPIRE: What motivated you to do what you are doing? 
Chijioke : I suffered from depression for almost 15years and had a 3 years battle with substance abuse without knowing where to find help. It’s a miracle that I am here today. God saved me and I am grateful. This is why I have dedicated my life to helping others better lives free from addiction and mental health struggles. 


  PROJECT_INSPIRE: What has been your major challenge since you began your non-profit organization?
  Chijioke : Well, I would say funding for now. But I believe in due time funds wouldn't be a problem again because am being very strategic in my engagement with my work and very intentional in my service to God and humanity. 


  PROJECT_INSPIRE: Many young people have great ideas, but lack of funds is always a stumbling block. What’s your advice in this regard? 
Chijioke : Let passion be the drive and the reason why you started remain a guiding principle towards the finish line. If you believe in your vision, you will scale through no matter how tough it gets. I have tasted it and I know how bitter it could be but passion and love for God and humanity kept me going forward. 


  PROJECT_INSPIRE: How have you been able to raise money to implement your ideas? 
Chijioke : This part has always been amazing. I would say, at the start, I basically self-funded the organization and this was really tough, but over time I began receiving help from those who saw as worthwhile what I was doing. Right now, I would say that up to 60% of our funding come from outside the organization. 


  PROJECT_INSPIRE: Could you please share with us one or two experience(s) you have had in the course of your campaign that has/have impacted on you? 
  Chijioke : My work has exposed me to meeting great minds and appreciate better the beauty of collaborations. 


  PROJECT_INSPIRE: What are your prospects in the next 5 or 10 years? 
Chijioke : We look forward to establishing an Institute dedicated to mentorship, mental wellness and addiction recovery. 


  PROJECT_INSPIRE: The final word for the Nigerian youth 
Chijioke : I want to say to every young Nigerian that you are the real heroes. Never forget that your dreams are valid and that greatness is not beyond your reach.


PROJECT_INSPIRE: Thank you for sharing with us.
  Chijioke:Thank you too for having me.



Follow Busaosowo Foundation:







Visit our website at: www.busaosowofoundation.org



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Project Inspire Africa With Gift Siagumpa

With the leadership deficit in Africa,Gift Siagumpa has refused to sit on the sidelines and complain. He started the Master-Mind Leadership Foundation to help raise the next generation of Zambian leaders. In this interview with Project Inspire Africa, Gift shares the joy and struggles in his journey. Can we meet you? My name is Gift Siagumpa, aged 34, Zambian and I enjoy writing, networking in the quest to learn more from others and providing solutions to societal problems. Tell us briefly your childhood experience. As a child , I was privileged to be provided with the basics of life including a good education from one of the best schools in my time. I was also privileged to have parents who were involved in my life. My father was very intentional about parenting. He used to schedule coaching sessions with me and lived out what he taught. He is my biggest inspiration. What’s your educational background?  I began my education journey at Maamba Private School, that is, from Pre-school

Project-Inspire Interview With Mary Essien

There are thousands of low-income families living in rural areas and slums in the midst of our nation’s economic realities; one can only wonder how such families manage to survive, care for basic needs before thinking about education and pursuing dreams. An active Nigerian youth,Mary Essien, envisioned these difficulties and is taking action to solve them through interventions. In this interview with Project-Inspire, she shares about her work and the progress made so far. PROJECT_INSPIRE : Can we meet you? Mary : My name is Mary Fidelis Essien, an indigene of Akwa-Ibom State.I am 26-years-old, a Private Home Tutor, NGO Leader and entrepreneur.I am the Creative Director at Pearls Perfumerie, a brand that deals with perfume oils and body mist. I also head Mayree's Nuts a brand supplying freshly roasted groundnuts. To cap it all, I am the Executive Director of The Heartmenders Foundation; a non-profit organization that caters for the need of the less privileged, youths, nursing mother

PROJECT INSPIRE AFRICA SPEAKS WITH UBALDA MENSAH

From empowering young girls with vocational skills to improving the standard of schools in ghana, Ubalda Mensah is on a mission to empower the next generation of girls to take responsibility for their lives and contribute to nation building. In this interview with project Inspire Africa,Ubalda shares her story. Can we meet you? My name is Ubalda Mensah, 22-years-old citizen of Ghana and I love to travel   Tell us briefly your childhood experience. Growing up, I did not have the opportunity to get things on a silver platter. This in a way put some form of pressure on me to strive to be excellent in all I do. There was no room to fool around although I had the freedom to. My parents prioritized education and did their best to give me a solid foundation academically.   What’s your educational background? I began my academic journey at H&E Educational Centre before moving on to Aggrey Memorial A.M.E Zion Senior High School. I am currently an undergraduate at the Un